Jotul 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barabus

May 2, 2014
North Carolina
I have a Jotul 118 that I purchased new in 1979. I heated our little farm house in Ohio with this stove for 17 years. At that point my wife and I moved to the beach (1996) in North Carolina. It has been stored in our storage area ever since. We are moving back to Ohio in the fall (Don't get me started) to be near our kids and grandkids. Can anyone tell me the logical steps I would need to take to get this stove ready to burn wood again? I know I would need to replace both side baffles, since they are warped and cracked. I think the legs are a little loose. What about gaskets? This is a great stove. I would love to be able to use it again on a regular basis. In my opinion it is in good shape, just needs a little TLC.

Before anything else, does this stove have a UL tag on it? If not (or even if it does), check with your homeowners insurance and make sure you'd still be ok installing this stove in perfect condition in it's original or the current NFPA guidelines in a different home.

While I understand the nostalgia associated, I'd hate to see you spend time and money on the stove if you are not able to still use it in a home and also be covered by insurance.

pen

I would get the new parts. Check the baffle too and replace if necessary. The original F118 was a great stove. The replacement F118CB by most reports, not as good. The main issue being warping of the secondary rack.

Reactions: Ashful
A lot of threads here and elsewhere show the basic steps and discuss this -
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/tlc-for-a-circa-1978-jotul-118.82607/

I am working on an Upland 17 - similar type of stove.

Here are the suggested steps.....

1. Remove the legs - you can easily bust them or the bolts when moving it around.
2. Strip the stove of all removable parts - baffles, etc.
3. Bring outside and get to work cleaning everything- how far you want to clean it is up to you.
If it is painted (not enamel) that will cover a multitude of sins.
I'm about done with my cleaning - you can see the pics below.
4. Seal any leaky seams - I have to reseal the 4 vertical seams. The others are fairly tight. I will do this from the inside and outside rather than taking the stove apart.
5. Check the door gasket and any other gaskets (118 has removable top with gasket).
6. Replace any parts needed - paint and put it back together...

As I said above, there may be more details in other threads. Search "restore Jotul" or restore 602 (similar smaller stove), etc.

IMG_2036.jpg IMG_2035.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.