Jotul 3 air vent problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoveboy

Feb 15, 2016
Nh
Hi,
I have a jotul 3 maybe 7 years old. Used as a secondary heat source (not every day).
This year I notice that the front sliding air vent does not seem to create an air tight seal.

As such, even with everything shut down the stove is still sucking a good amount of draft. So I have no control to kill the fire or turn down the stove when I want to.

Is this repairable? It seems like something in the stove has shifted due to heat and made the vent not line up anymore. It feels like the vent control slider is intact, but not matter what I do it still sucks draft

The air control never closes completely. Is it possible that air is getting in somewhere else? Check to be sure the startup air vent is closed and that the stove gaskets are still sealing well by doing the dollar bill test. Pay particular attention to the ash pan door seal. Also check for buildup behind the ashpan. This can prevent the door from closing tightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.