Jotul 3, but which one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blauweaaf

Apr 15, 2015
Arnhem, The Netherlands
Good day!

Today I bought a beautiful green enamelled Jotul 3. According to the seller it is a 2014 model, but to me the insides seemed quite a bit older. I got it for a decent prize so I bought it anyway. Coloured woodstoves are hard to come by in the Netherlands. I have tried to find out what type it is, but could not find much in terms of numbers, apart from a code under the door, that you can read with the door open. It reads: "P-3 KAT NR 103244 i U 8.1.97". The last bit seems to be a casting date, so it would be 1997? KAT seems to refer to Catalysor, which is probably spelled with K in Norwegian?

Who can tell me more about this stove? It burned nicely although I only did a very small fire for a few hours, because it was a summer's day today. And also because the link to the chimney wasn't very airtight yet.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, blauweaaf

Welcome. Was this a used stove bought in a private sale? It does sound a lot older. Can you post a picture or two of the stove?

Hi blauweaaf,

I have a jotul f3, just in the back paint. I bought it new in late 2103, but the date of manufacture, as shown in the manual, is 2009. I guess they sometimes sit around a while before they are bought. I like to keep an (envious!) eye on the various enamel colours and I can't say that I've ever noticed a green enamel f3 being produced since 2013, not here in the UK anyway,

Perhaps the previous owner just meant he bought the stove in 2014? It could have been made several years earlier. If it's that recently new to the PO though, I would like to think he could provide you with a manual. The last page of that should indicate the date of manufacture.

Sounds like you have a beautiful stove though.. And hopefully, if it's in good working oreder, that's all that counts! Hope you enjoy it.

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it was a private sale and it was cheap enough not to be a very recent stove. The previous owner either did not know or pretended not to know. However, I decided that I liked the green and bought it anyway. So let's see if I can upload a picture. I only have this snapshot now. Later, I will make some clearer pics, but the stove is in our holiday cottage so I cannot do that now. Jotul 3 green.jpg
Hope you like it! Maybe somebody knows about the different types of Jotul 3 and whether a cat-version was ever made?

best, Blauweaaf

That appears to be the F3 CB (clean burn). A current model.

If that is the current install you need allot more floor protection and it looks like you may have a clearance issue on the pipe but that is hard to tell

If it has a stepped baffle in the top of the firebox with holes in it aimed toward the front it is the F3 CB.

Wow, you guys are quick! So, it is a F3 CB. I can confirm the stepped baffle with holes aimed toward the front! Thanks for your identification. Also , thank you for the warning. I plan to have larger steel floor protector. We are also thinking about some protection against the wall. Although it is a brick and concrete wall the former owner had a much smaller stove that got hot enough to get the paint peeling off. We still have to fix that.

Now, about heating the place. During my first little fires I have already encountered two problems, related to a probable draft problem. First, to get a fire started I need to open up the ash box. And second, when the fire is going, it is impossible the open the door without getting the smoke bellowing into the room. Not very nice. This weekend I plan to have a sweep at the chimney, but I am afraid it is not high enough. I will do some testing and make some pictures. Still, there is another thing. The connection between the stove and the metal pipe that leads to the chimney ( the black pipe you can see on the picture above) is not so good. The diameter of the black pipe is about a third on an inch smaller than the diameter of the short exhaust on the stove. I was thinking of fixing that with some gasket rope, how do you call that, the same kind of rope that seals the door to the stove. Is that a good idea?

best wishes from Holland, blauweaaf

Definitely looks like a contemporary model. If it has the secondary manifold and baffle it's an F3CB, but in the Netherlands you also can buy the simpler F3 which just has a baffle and no secondary manifold.

Edit: cross posted, if you have the stepped manifold with holes it is an F3CB. Great little stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.