Jotul 3 Classic BV NG won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

david99

Oct 31, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The stove came with the house, and didn't work.

A repairman finally got it running last year (after replacing both the pilot assembly and the value), and it worked perfectly through the fall/winter/spring. (Though we could never actually light the pilot via the piezo - it always had to be lit via a match)

We kept the pilot lit all summer, though never used the stove.

I fired it up last night, the fire stayed lit for a couple minutes, then the fire and the pilot went out. Re-lit the pilot, then the fire, which stayed on a couple minutes -before both going out again. Same thing a third time. Seemed to be drafting just fine.

I then went to relight the pilot this morning, and it won't light.

Like I said - the pilot assembly and the valve are both new. We are now experiencing the exact same issue that caused us to have to replace those parts last year. We can't afford to dump another $1000 into this thing only one year later.

We aren't sure why this would happen, or what to do next. ANY input would be very much appreciated.

Look at the pilot for any soot buildup around the thermocouple. The thermocouple holds the pilot, while the larger thermopile operates the burner.
If there is soot at the thermocouple, clear it away and try the pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.