Jotul #3 never used - what year and any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

aframe_heat

Dec 23, 2021
MD
Hi,
I am currently in the market for a wood stove. I grew up in a house that used a wood stove as its main heat source. But, my dad made the one in our house, and its been 20 years since I lived there, so I have no real experiences with commercial wood stoves. I live in the woods in a small a-frame (about 800 sq ft) and would like to get a nice wood stove, but don't have a large budget. I've been looking mainly at Vermont Castings and Jotul - I would like to have some glass on the door. I've been reading all about wood stoves for the past few weeks and my brain is a little bit overloaded -- SO many options.

However, I just came across this Jotul #3 and it seems like a pretty good deal. I have emailed the seller for more information, because there is very little info in the ad. It says that "it has never been used" and it "comes with pipe." It does not say when it was manufactured or purchased, but it seems like an unused Jotul with (at least some) pipe for $700 is a pretty good deal.

Based on this picture, does anyone know what year this was made? Would love to hear opinions about this stove, the price, etc, etc.

jotul #3 for sale.jpg

Looks like it may be a Jotul 3AP or a 3-TDIC. If so, it is a catalytic version. It should have a UL tag on the back of the stove for a positive ID. This was an early EPA version, circa 1990.

If it has a new cat and some pipe it’s priced fair for this heating season. This summer used rusty F3s were asking 2-400$ in southern Maine. No idea if they were ever sold. How big a space are you heating? The catalytic version doesn’t rev my jets.

Evan

Looks like it may be a Jotul 3AP or a 3-TDIC. If so, it is a catalytic version. It should have a UL tag on the back of the stove for a positive ID. This was an early EPA version, circa 1990.
Thank you! That's enormously helpful. Now at least I know what to look up. Do you have any experience/opinions about those stoves?

If it has a new cat and some pipe it’s priced fair for this heating season. This summer used rusty F3s were asking 2-400$ in southern Maine. No idea if they were ever sold. How big a space are you heating? The catalytic version doesn’t rev my jets.

Evan
We are heating approx 800 square feet. What are the issues with the catalytic versions?

Thank you! That's enormously helpful. Now at least I know what to look up. Do you have any experience/opinions about those stoves?
Yes, with the non-cat version but not with the catalytic version. At that price, it's a good deal, and with care, it should be an ok little stove for the space. Replacement parts are still available.

If new it should have a new cat and the manual inside the stove. Does it have legs? The picture cuts them off. If it's the 3-TDIC I have a copy of the manual.

Reactions: EbS-P
I have not heard back from the seller. Since its now Christmas Eve, I assume I won't hear back for a few days. Guess that gives me time to look them up.

Totally unrelated, but just curious - do most folks on here use catalytic stoves or non?

Based on stove sales most have been non-cat but the 2020 epa regs have steered more manufacturers to use cats in hybrid stoves to meet the new requirements.

Seems like a very good price.

It doesn't matter what most people use; you need something that works for you and is good (enough) quality.

Moreover, cat stoves back then mostly had a cat that cleaned up emissions. Most cat stoves now utilize the cat also for heat.

Jotul is a good brand. If the stove indeed is new (but old), it's going to be ok.

Were you able to get in touch with the sellers?