Jotul 3 TDIC 2 Catalyst replacement and Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baydraftmare

Oct 24, 2012
Roxboro, NC
Hi helpful woodstove enthusiasts.

We purchased a used Jotul 3 TDIC (crica 1990) and brought her home. In looking it over with the printed out manual from the Jotul website, we have some issues.
1) the cat has huge sections missing.. seems like a problem... a new one will be purchased
2) There was NO insulation around the cat or any kind of gasket... also seems like a problem. It was just sitting in this big open area. The previous owner said the stove was too hot for his small space and he had very dirty burns. I think both these items would be cause for that.
3) the back burn plate is cracked at the top in the center. (I will photograph this at my next opportunity)
4) the top baffel or whatever the solid metal piece across the top of the burn chamber is, seems warped. It bows downward toward the firebox.

After diliberation, we will not be using this stove this year. We have on order a new Jotul 400 castine for this years service.

We would like to intstall the series 3 in another room for next year, so I have time to fix some or all of these things.

I did a search of the forum and found one other post about someone with a Jotul 8 that was looking to replace his cat and insulation and he said the insulation was just fiberglass insulation. Seriously?

on jotul parts.com new catalyst insulation is $25. Not terribly expensive, but we already own fiberglass insulation rolls.....but I don't want do do anything stupid here.

The catalyst on jotul parts.com is over $500.. a bit steep when other websites have them listed for ~$100. Is there some magical power that the expensive cat has, or will it last 5X as long?

If anyone has any experince with this or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Photos to be posted soon.

Thanks

Sounds like a good plan with the F400 for this year. The 3TDIC will need rebuilding. $500 for the cat almost sounds like a typo. A combuster should be more in the $160 range.The gasket material probably is a ceramic insulation like Interam. I would use the proper gasket and not fiberglass.

There are lots of resources for rebuilding the stove. Here are a couple:

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/catalogs/Wood-and-Coal-Stove-Manufacturers-Cross-Reference.html (look up the 3TDIC here)
http://www.prestontradingpost.com/jotul_parts.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.