Jotul #3 vs Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redburn

Mar 2, 2009
Southern Ct
Just picked up a newer # 3 for my buddy because he needed a little more heat nice stove hardly used and he is skeptical that it will out perform his 1981 VC Intrepid. the #3 says 1300sqf and the Intrepid says a 1000sqf anybody have any experience with Jotul #3 they could pass on? Burn times ? etc.... Thanks

The 3 should burn between 3-6 hours. How much it will heat will be determined by your local climate, the amount of north/south facing windows, insulation, etc. For my climate here in Colorado, in a normal well insulated home, that stove will heat about 1000 square feet.

For about four hours.

Back in those days, VC made a real quality stove.
I believe that stove was a "cross-draft" stove/pre-EPA??
A bit different in design than today's unit (a 1990's design).
I would still like to get my hands on one of those pre-cat units.

Rob

Rob From Wisconsin said:
Back in those days, VC made a real quality stove.
I believe that stove was a "cross-draft" stove/pre-EPA??
A bit different in design than today's unit (a 1990's design).
I would still like to get my hands on one of those pre-cat units.
Rob

yes, one hell of a nice pre-epa design. a modified version is still in use today

Status
Not open for further replies.