Jotul 3cb , Heat and LCD TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linesider

Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
Just got the stove installed in the living room, and it came out from the corner a little farther than expected. The stove looks great, but it is interfering with the location where I planned on wall mounting my Lcd.
How close I can put the t.v to the wood stove? I did some searches on the topic and called Sony and it looks like there is no real answer.

Has anyone had a problem with placing a t.v too close?

If I am burning the Jotul 3cb at about 450 degrees, how hot it is about three feet away? The t.v will also be wall mounted, about two feet higher than the stove and three feet away, on the wall to the side of the stove. There's other options but this one is the best, the set up will be sweeeeet! The other options also fall short. Any advise appreciated.... thanks

Combustibles are to be at least 36" away(but I would go as far away as possible). I am starting to look at LCDs, but it will be ~50" from the corner of the stove.

Consider also a professional grade monitor stand, one that you can easily move about. Easily increase the distance to the stove when you want, say in the winter and then closer in the summer.

Otherwise the 3' is an absolute minimum as the plastic and electronics do not like high temps. The normal cooling of the electronics and LCD may also be compromized.

Valhalla said:
Consider also a professional grade monitor stand, one that you can easily move about. Easily increase the distance to the stove when you want, say in the winter and then closer in the summer.

Otherwise the 3' is an absolute minimum as the plastic and electronics do not like high temps. The normal cooling of the electronics and LCD may also be compromized.

I'm going wall-mount on a swivel. I thought about a future LCD when I put in the stove and located the AV equipment.

Both those ideas are now in my head, I guess I could pull it off on the swivel by moving it all the way over, or on a cart with wheels....

This discussion has come up before, an lcd tv power supply will generate enough heat on its own to kill itself over time (some sets, not a very long period of time before failure). Putting one close to heat will most likely (but not always) kill it faster. If you don't mind having your set serviced or replaced often, then follow combustibles guidelines for your stove. Some people view these tv's as disposable, and aesthetics more important than function and life expectancy of the tv. In my opinion, an lcd tv should not be installed anywhere near a wood stove.

I'm not a real big fan of wall mounting TV's in residential environments, even if it is the "hip" thing to do.

I still like the look of a nice wood piece of furniture to put all the electronics in, and set the TV on. I also like the freedom to re-arrange the room on a whim without having to remount the TV.

That said... My project today is mounting a projector in the family room (not the stove room). I probably wouldn't have bought a projector TV, but hey! It was free! The guy who gave it to me said it didn't work and I told him I'd see if I could fix it. Turns out, he just didn't know what he was doing. He had the inputs set up wrong. He was going to toss it into the trash though though, so I feel no obligation to tell him. He can just think I fixed it.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.