1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. bobforsaken

bobforsaken Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I seem to have found a, supposedly new, Jotul 3TD for $250. Besides the "too good to be true" skepticism, I'm not sure what the difference between the 3CB and the 3TD is. I found a manual and it seems to have a 7 Inch flue collar and is "Multifuel" . I should mention that I am installing a Duraplus 6" prefab chimney as we speak.. so I'm not sure if the 7" flue puts the brakes on the scheme anyway.

Ultimately its not the perfect stove for me (probably a bit small) but seeing as how I can't really afford the hearthstone pheonix I'd like, it may be a right stove for now. The price certainly is right.

Advice?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bobforsaken

bobforsaken Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Sadly.. I just found out that it has sold. If anyone wants to convince me that I didn't just miss out on a great deal, feel free. :)

I am still curious about the cb vs td, however.

Thanks,
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not a bad deal - decent stove. However, not the 3CB has all the clean burn interior...the TD does not.
    That does not make it a dirty stove...because the box is small, it still burns clean - but not as clean as the new one.
  4. zzr7ky

zzr7ky Minister of Fire

I really like the 3CB but it is TOO SMALL>

Go bigger and be happy.

Mike
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The 3CB comes in at around 1 cu ft. It is a great little stove, but... it is a little stove requiring frequent refills, especially when burning hot in the winter. I'd stick with the original plan for a 2 cu ft stove.
  6. Fsappo

Fsappo New Member

Loc:
    Central NY
    You didnt miss a thing, but I'm loving my new used 3TD!

Really, an old Jotul in good shape for that price is a nice deal if the size suits you. It's gonna be a long summer and folks will be looking to dump their non EPA stoves for newer stoves that qualify for the tax credit, so just keep your eyes on CL!
  7. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    I purchased a 20 year-old Jotul 3 TD two years ago for a summer place and paid $400. We use it during the spring and fall when we're there. It's a nice stove and works well in our 1,200 sq. ft. cottage for the shoulder seasons. I don't have any experience with it's more modern counterpart, the 3 CB, so I can't compare them.
    ChipTam
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I might have missed it . . . but what size stove are you looking for in your home?

I see Craigslist seems to have some decent stoves for sale . . . some are a bit older, but still use clean burning technology.

Jotul Firelight 12 $250 in new Portland . . . rear burn plate is cracked ($100 part according to poster). Comes with a spare cat

Jotul F3CB in Naples for $900

Jotul Series 8 for $500 in Eliot . . . a bit older

2007 F100 for $700 in Windsor