Jotul 3TD - Back vs Top Vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
I'm (still) considering a redo of my hearth, if I move fwd with the project I'd be venting my Jotul 3td out the back vrs out the top.

Can anyone tell me how my stove will behave with this modification? Will it be harder to start? Will draft decrease?

Many thanks in advance for your insights.

Hi -

I've no experience with the Jotul. However my VC Resolute acclaim w17' of insulated 6" liner draws well and starts well even in warm and windy weather. It is vented out the back, into a Tee (in the Fireplace opening) and then straight up 17'.

I liked the Jotul units but went with VC as a local retailed was heavily discounting selling off demo stock in July. Saved 1K or better over the Jotul.

Good luck!
Mike P

the TD is a older model, not to be confused with the 3 CB.
As long as you keep the horizontal to a minimum, and have 1/4" of rise per foot, AND a proper chimney as far as diameter and hight, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.