Jotul 3TD Observations and Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gman1001

Jan 9, 2006
Sales
Hi, just noticed something.

My new to me 3TD (bought for $300 this fall) has what looks to me like a baffle or deflector inside of the stove, that rests at the top of the firebox.

While attempting to overload my stove :) I must have knocked is from its seat, leaving a 1 to 2 inch gap all around it. Best I can tell smoke etc... now just goes straight out of my top venting stove, instead of being deflected around this baffle.

Any thoughts on the net effect of my displaced baffle?

Tx!

Garrett

To answer your question, this baffle supports the burning of volatile vapors that might otherwise leave your system. Your stove is less efficient if it does not work as designed. I do not know this stove although I have a 3CB with a baffle in the same place. My baffle takes air from a rear air supply (hidden by the rear shields) and allows it to flow into the stove, into the back of the baffle and out the holes. My first concern would be about the possible disruption to the connection between the rear air supply passage in the rear of the stove and the baffle. You likely have impacted this connection and it might allow airflows in your stove contrary to the engineered design.

Mine is bolted in. How is yours atatched and what came loose? Was it simply cemented in place? Mine could not come loose without significant damage to the fasteners or internal plates.

On most newer Jotuls the baffle plate simply lifts out. It makes cleaning MUCH easier.
The flip side of that "ease" is that when you are loading it, if you cram too much wood in, the plate lifts up. It eventually goes back down once the wood burns down a bit (gravity and cast iron tend to work that way ;-) )

-- Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.