Jotul 400 castine? Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsil

Dec 25, 2007
western maine
Looking at the jotul 400 castine, my wife likes the looks. The price tag is around $1700. Is this stove worth it? My home is approx 1500 sq ft, and the literature states it will up to 1600. Is this the stove for me? Are there other stoves with same or better performance? Quality? Opinions Please.

Personally if the Jotul looks are what you like I would look at the F500 Oslo at the very least. That 1,600 square feet they are talking about wasn't in a Maine winter and they probably had a conveyor belt hauling wood to the stove.

Many people here like the stove a lot. Considering where you are from, I would think you might want to step up to the Oslo or even the Firelight if you want it to be able to keep you warm in the coldest weather you get. Both of those stoves will also give you longer burns as well. However, it would help if you would give more details about your home, amount of insulation, windows, ceiling height, how many floors, layout of rooms and position of the stove in the home.

Mine kept the furnace from coming on in that same amount of Sq. footage. I can't really say it heated the house that well since I keep my furnace at 65 degrees. It could be my house or layout but I opted for a larger stove and put my Castine in a cottage I own that is around 1250 sq. ft. total on two levels. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure it will be perfect for this cottage.

The stove will go in the living room which is the downstairs front half of the main part of the house. It is a 2 story farmhouse circa 1900. The main part of the house is square, and the kitchen dining and mud room t off of it, the house looks like a box shaped T with the living room at the left side of the horizontal line, a parlor, and laundry to the right, and the kitchen, dining and mud room are in the vertical area. Upstairs 2 bedrooms in the horizontal, 1 bedroom, large playroom in the vertical. The windows are fairly new insulated windows, not top of the line. Ceilings are about 10' as far as insulation goes, the walls are unknown, and the attic could use another layer. I've even confused myself trying to explain this layout.

BrotherBart said:
Personally if the Jotul looks are what you like I would look at the F500 Oslo at the very least. That 1,600 square feet they are talking about wasn't in a Maine winter and they probably had a conveyor belt hauling wood to the stove.

Agreed, and I own a Castine (in a much milder climate).

I would step up to the F500 Oslo for a few reasons:

1. It has the same great looks as the Castine in a slightly larger size, and adds an extremely useful side load door.
2. You will be pushing the limits of the Castine based on your climate and house construction and I think you will appreciate the additional capabilities of the Oslo when it gets into the single digits.

For what it is worth... I have 1400 square feet I am heating and the stove does pretty good for it's size. I would agree with the others that the Olso would probably serve a little better. Actually in the future I may swap mine out for the Jotul Olso. Don't get me wrong, the Jotul Castine is an excellent stove, I would just like to have more firebox space.

I agree the Castine is a pretty stove (the nautical theme fits coastal Maine) but in practicality (for heating purposes) a larger stove would serve you much better for a Maine winter. I think the Oslo suggestion makes much more sense.

Hi, I've had my F 500 for two months. I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7. The house is open concept, stove is centrally located and the second floor has cathedral ceilings. I was skeptical when I first saw the size of the firebox as I wasn't sure it would heat the house. I was pleasantly surprised. What a heater and it seems to burn less wood so far. Load up at 10p and at 6a there are plenty of coals to get the fire going again. I cosidered the F 600 but it would have been too big for this house. Hope this helps.

Jim

I'm in a similar position in northeast Mass. I have a small (1,200 sq ft.) home with a new, small two story addition. Not looking to heat primarily with wood, at least at this point. But I do want to use much less natural gas. I'm planning to go with the Castine. If it proves inadequate, I'll sell it and get an Oslo.

In your spot, if the house is decently insulated, I think the Castine will be fine. It's a good choice for a smaller home in New England. The F400 is well built and with hardwood, really kicks out the heat when you ask it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.