Jotul 400 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awfireman

Oct 19, 2007
Plymouth,Ma
I am installing my new Jotul 400 Castine this weekend and wanted to be sure I am going in the right direction with the install.

I just picked up a 25' Z-Flex 316ti SS Liner Kit (my Chimney is 23'). My questions are...should I use the T included in the kit or buy a insulated on for improved draft? And should I insulate the liner and if so with what product?

Thanks for your help on this and the other topic I posted a few days ago...you guys have been a HUGE help!

Fireman

Use the Tee included with the kit.
Use thermix, rock wool or unfaced fiberglass insulation.
Thermix will insulate the entire liner - top to bottom...
The rock wool or unfaced fiberglass can be used in the
damper area & around the liner under the top plate.
This method will essentially create a standing column of
"dead" air in your chimney, which will act as insulation...
Use RTV silicone on your flue tile to anchor the top plate

It is all about doing what the instructions say, other wise you aren't meeting code. In essence, code says follow the manufacturers instructions, and different manufacturers have different methods they paid to have tested to the required specs for fire safety. What works for one liner kit, may physically work for another, but if it wasn't the tested method for installations, then they didn't get approval for the install method. That would be between you and your insurance company.

I just read the liner instructions for the Z-Flex kit - you should also.

http://www.novaflex.com/information_centre/zflex/03All Fuel Flex Liner Kit/Z-Flex All Fuel Chimney Liner Installation Guide.pdf (likely the link doesn't work, but you should be able to get them thru Google)

They have their insulation product listed in the instructions. They also show a poured insulation around a solid liner, but no description. Their instructions are for 1/4 inch wrap and spacers to keep it 1" from the brick, but they don't discuss a zero clearance install.

In the end, you should use whatever system they recommend. Call them to see what they have for an approved method for a zero clearance install. If they don't have one, you might consider a company that tested the liner to zero clearance specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.