Jotul 400 too much stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on this site, so hello. I wish I had found it befor Ihad purchased my stove.

So here is my dilemma.

I recently purchased a Jotul f100 Nordic. My house is a 1200 square foot ranch with uninsulated concrete block in the front part and poorly insulated bedrooms in the back.

I have the stove in the front part of the house,the block part, which is about 720 square feet, 24' X 30'. It is mostly open with one room with a door that is 12' X 12'. All in all the stove works pretty well except for the fact that I have to constantly load it every 2 hours when the temp gets below 40. Plus in order to keep the house from getting too cold at night I need to get up at least 2 times a night to load the darn thing.

The dealer I bought it from has Jotul 400 that was traded in. I can get that stove for $600 plus trade in my stove.

My question is, is that stove going to be too much? Right now we don't heat the back rooms of the house with our current set up. There is also a hallway that the heat would have to go down in order to get to those rooms anyway. However the room in the front of the house is generally cooler, and the kitchen which is on the other side of the room opposite the stove is also a little cool. Compared to the area directly around the stove. I would really like, actually, need the longer burn time. The constant stoking is getting to be a little much. Plus I work from home, so the stove is runnung 24/7 and serves as the main heat source for the front part of the house.

I like the little stove, but it really is a lot of work. Just looking to get a rest.

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah. I live in central VA.

J.P.

It would seem with your house insulation that nothing would be to big. Forget heating capacity, look at burn time. The oslo is going to burn 6-8 hours on a load. If you get to warm, crack a window, but with a uninsulted cinderblock wall i have a hard time beliving you will ever overheat that room

Nordic new: $999
Oslo new $1999

Used stoves have about 40% of new value, and thats right on with the numbers you posted.

For that house an F400 definately would not be too much stove. But with the poor insulation and the layout of the house I would suggest one of the stoves that have distribution blowers available. Stoves like the Quadrafires, Englanders, Centurys, and many others. You need to move a lot of warm air around there to make up for the heat loss.

Thanks for the quick replys!

We do have ceiling fans as well. I think with a little larger stove, we would be able to have better heat circulation. With the fans going the room is still warm and cool. But not uncomfortable.

So is the 400 really going to give a 6-8 hour burn time? The Nordic average is about half of the stated burn time. However I am thinking it may be due to the type of burn system in the small stove as compared to the 3cb and larger ones with ash pans and the top mount burn tubes.

Thanks again for the advice.

J.P.

SmokinJoe said:

We do have ceiling fans as well. I think with a little larger stove, we would be able to have better heat circulation. With the fans going the room is still warm and cool. But not uncomfortable.

So is the 400 really going to give a 6-8 hour burn time? The Nordic average is about half of the stated burn time. However I am thinking it may be due to the type of burn system in the small stove as compared to the 3cb and larger ones with ash pans and the top mount burn tubes.

J.P.

I get pretty much the same burn time out of the F3CB as I do out of the F100. Couple to three hours max.

I have to politely disagree with my friend MSG on the blower. The one on my step top Englander blows the air straight across the top of the stove which is in the family room through the kitchen and somehow magically catches the corner of the hallway doorway that leads to the front stairs.

And, well, we know where that warm air heads next. Right up those stairs. If you stove location afforded a staight shot toword those bedrooms a blower like mine would make your day.

BrotherBart said:
SmokinJoe said:

J.P.

I get pretty much the same burn time out of the F3CB as I do out of the F100. Couple to three hours max.

I have to politely disagree with my friend MSG on the blower. The one on my step top Englander blows the air straight across the top of the stove which is in the family room through the kitchen and somehow magically catches the corner of the hallway doorway that leads to the front stairs.

And, well, we know where that warm air heads next. Right up those stairs. If you stove location afforded a staight shot toword those bedrooms a blower like mine would make your day.

My dealer has Jotul, Morso, Scan, and Hearthstone to choose from. I like the idea of a blower but more importantly my wife really likes the design of the Jotul. Although the stove is not in an ideal location, when we renovate that will change, along with the long hallway and lack of insulation.

I like the Jotul as well, looks good and heats well. Plus I like having the dealer 20 minutes from me so that if anything does go wrong they are close by. Also they have really good customer service.

J.P.

SmokinJoe said:

J.P.

im sorry, i made a mistake. i read F500 not F400, the castine will not burn for 8 hours, more like 6. Also you need a realy good chimney for the F400 to draft properly, 14' is usually not enough, it likes 16' plus.

BrotherBart said:
SmokinJoe said:

J.P.

:kiss:

Ah. Then it looks like the Castine is the way to go. Good stove, good dealer, marital bliss. :cheese:

MountainStoveGuy said:
SmokinJoe said:

J.P.

im sorry, i made a mistake. i read F500 not F400, the castine will not burn for 8 hours, more like 6. Also you need a realy good chimney for the F400 to draft properly, 14' is usually not enough, it likes 16' plus.

Our chimney has pretty good draft. It will draw on its own with no appliance attached. However it is about 15'. So if I go with the trade I suppose we shall see.

What should I look for as some signs for poor draft?

Thanks.

J.P.

Edit: My dealer said that if my f100 drafts well then I should have no problems with the 400. Seems to be, he said, that some folks have more problems with the 100 than the other Jotuls.

I think the F400 will work fine for you Joe. With hard wood we get a good 4-6 hr burn. But we can easily get an overnight burn on low and the ecofan is still lazily spinning in the morning, especially after a good deep coal bed has been established. If the weather is warmer, just burn smaller or shorter fires. But overall you're sure to enjoy the view and the larger log size. The ash bin is generous and easy to use and the air control is very smooth on the stove.

If the draft is poor the number one complaint is going to be smoking when the door is open. This will be especially noticeable when temps are warmer in the 50's. With your stack, I would definitely go with the top vent, no elbows. Worst case scenario sounds like you might decided to add a few feet to the stack, but maybe not.

BeGreen said:
I think the F400 will work fine for you Joe. With hard wood we get a good 4-6 hr burn. But we can easily get an overnight burn on low and the ecofan is still lazily spinning in the morning, especially after a good deep coal bed has been established. If the weather is warmer, just burn smaller or shorter fires. But overall you're sure to enjoy the view and the larger log size. The ash bin is generous and easy to use and the air control is very smooth on the stove.

If the draft is poor the number one complaint is going to be smoking when the door is open. This will be especially noticeable when temps are warmer in the 50's. With your stack, I would definitely go with the top vent, no elbows. Worst case scenario sounds like you might decided to add a few feet to the stack, but maybe not.

Green,

How long have you been using your 400? I am not too familiar with the secondary burn chamber at the top of the stove. Does it take any special maintenance?

From the posts I have read on this site concerning the 400, most are positive. Seems to be a fairly easy stove to operate. Although my 100 is pretty simple as well. Just more frequent tending.

I am looking forward to being able to load less and just let it burn.

Are you using your stove as a main heat source?

Thanks for the info.

J.P.

This is our first season with the Castine. There is no special maintenance needed for the secondaries. We also have a heat pump, but this winter we heated for about 3 weeks 24/7 with the stove (no power and then I was at home during the Christmas week). Coldest nightime temp during that period was 23 degrees, daytime about 27. The stove kept our 2000 sq. ft. house at about 68-70. It's a bit undersized to carry our whole house, but normally we don't see this kind of cold weather here.

Hi Joe,

The castine will do you fine. I had one for a year and it heated 1750 ft nicely. It is a really good stove, pretty, and the air regulator is a dream. This will help to lower the burn well when it gets too hot in the house. The secondary burn flames are beautiful.

$600 plus your old stove is a good price.

Go for it. You will be happy.

Carpniels

SmokinJoe,

The F400 might not be the best stove for you. Since, you live in VA in a 1200 square foot home, I would guess you're not going to be predominantly running your stove at high temps. As others have mentioned, the F400 requires a better than average draft. If you're going to be running the stove at moderate temps and your chimney isn't great to begin with, the F400 will likely disappoint. How new is the Castine? Is it the older two door model?

Welcome SmokinJoe,

I'm just a Castine owner, not a dealer or for that matter any way related to the wood stove bidness. So from a consumer stand point I can only say I have nothing but great things to say about the stove. But, like any stove,there is no substitute for dry wood and a good chimney draft. As for being "too much stove" for your house, I doubt it. YOu can always crack a window in the room. Just a happy burner opinion and 2 cents.

carpniels said:
Hi Joe,

The castine will do you fine. I had one for a year and it heated 1750 ft nicely. It is a really good stove, pretty, and the air regulator is a dream. This will help to lower the burn well when it gets too hot in the house. The secondary burn flames are beautiful.

Carpniels
I have a 1736 sq. ft. new ranch house with cathedral ceiling in the living room. The dealer recommended the Jotul Oslo F500, but the house is really well insulated and I was wondering if the Castine would be a better choice. From some of the other posts I've read though, the larger firebox on the Oslo would probably enable longer burn times and be better at overnight heating. I guess my question is, is bigger always better when it comes to wood stoves?

Bigger isn't always better. It's how you use the stove that counts.

If one insists on burning big massive loads of wood regardless of outside temps, the stove could be too big. Do you intend to heat the house 24/7 with the stove or mostly use it in the evenings? Cathedral ceilings add to the overall cu ft that have to be heated. But look at your current heating fuel consumption for a guide as to how many btus it takes to heat the house.

What is your locale? How large a room will the stove be installed in?

packrraat said:
carpniels said:
Hi Joe,

Carpniels
I have a 1736 sq. ft. new ranch house with cathedral ceiling in the living room. The dealer recommended the Jotul Oslo F500, but the house is really well insulated and I was wondering if the Castine would be a better choice. From some of the other posts I've read though, the larger firebox on the Oslo would probably enable longer burn times and be better at overnight heating. I guess my question is, is bigger always better when it comes to wood stoves?

Search the whole forum and see how many owners of bigger stoves there are and are not happy with there stove and it being too big ............( I'll save you the trouble , "0" )

Now search the forums to see how many people undersized there stove , cant heat there house , short burn times ect...ect... ( a lot of these owners )

Save youre self the trouble and get the bigger model. You can burn smaller fires in the stove in the Fall and Spring and have a big enough stove for the heart of winter.

The dealer sold the stove to someone else.

It was the salesmans father who sold it from his other store. So I'm outta luck on that stove.

I did put a deposit on a new one though and tried to work a little better deal since they sold the used one from under me.

Best he would do would be to give me 10% off the rear heatshield. Wow! Ten bucks. Maybe I'll go buy a load of that fancy grocery store wood with the savings.

Anyway, I plan to put in a new chimney so that I will be able to get the thing operating right from the start. Dealer said he would also give me 10% on chimney parts as well. That will help.

I'm already stockpiling wood for next year. Looking forward to being toasty.

Thanks for all the responses and help.

J.P.

SmokinJoe said:
The dealer sold the stove to someone else.

It was the salesmans father who sold it from his other store. So I'm outta luck on that stove.

I did put a deposit on a new one though and tried to work a little better deal since they sold the used one from under me.

Best he would do would be to give me 10% off the rear heatshield. Wow! Ten bucks. Maybe I'll go buy a load of that fancy grocery store wood with the savings.

Anyway, I plan to put in a new chimney so that I will be able to get the thing operating right from the start. Dealer said he would also give me 10% on chimney parts as well. That will help.

I'm already stockpiling wood for next year. Looking forward to being toasty.

Thanks for all the responses and help.

J.P.

Its my understanding that Jotul is running 10% OFF the price of there stoves now per the ad on there web site.

SmokinJoe said:
I got the 10% on the stove. A good deal but not as good as the used one.

J.P.

Awe , Ya got 10% on the stove , chimney and shield , ya got a new stove and a 5 year warranty and you didnt get somebody else's problem. fresh paint , no chips , everything is cleans and all the gaskets and cement is new.

How many items , home purchases and other can you buy that WILL pay for themselves and even in a short amount of time.

..........Ya got a good deal.

Roospike said:
SmokinJoe said:
Awe , Ya got 10% on the stove , chimney and shield , ya got a new stove and a 5 year warranty and you didnt get somebody else's problem. fresh paint , no chips , everything is cleans and all the gaskets and cement is new.

How many items , home purchases and other can you buy that WILL pay for themselves and even in a short amount of time.

..........Ya got a good deal.

Still a good deal, yes. I do like the newness and not buying into someone elses problems. But the used one was only in service for one season, and practically new. Everything looked new. Plus the dealer put in new gaskets.

Oh well. Now I get a new Jotul. Durn.

:ahhh:

J.P.

PS: I guess the only downside is the stinky break-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.