jotul 450 cracked cast iron

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have put in a couple of these and never seen cracks like that, or any jotul for that matter.

As stated before, must have been a bad casting. I'm sure they will replace it.

Joetel for the win?

Edit: I had seen an old jotul 8 with a cracked back plate.

well everything has been rectified and the unit has been repaired. Like mentioned earlier it wasn't a easy fix but yotul stood behind their product along with salter's fireplace. I would highly recommend Jotul along with salters, they both took care of the matter in a timely fashion. The insert is up and running now do to the cold snap pa has recently gotten and everything seams great. Thanks again for all the info this forum has provided

muranomaddness said:
well everything has been rectified and the unit has been repaired. Like mentioned earlier it wasn't a easy fix but yotul stood behind their product along with salter's fireplace. I would highly recommend Jotul along with salters, they both took care of the matter in a timely fashion. The insert is up and running now do to the cold snap pa has recently gotten and everything seams great. Thanks again for all the info this forum has provided

Glad things ended happily.

Cracking my Jotul metal box is my biggest concern with running the thing.

That was an extremely disturbing picture.

Thats good they came through for you... was there any determination made on the cause just out of curiosity? So far I am very impressed with the quality of my 550. I was getting worried though when I saw that picture!

They attributed it to a bad casting. In reality the part that broke bolts on without having to pull the unit out. The problem is the bolts tend to seize up requiring them to be taped out. Not a big deal if if you have the tools or a sears close by

Status
Not open for further replies.