Jotul 500 installation questions, wall temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewWoodStoveGuy

Feb 25, 2008
NY
Hi. Im new to wood burning and I just purchased the Jotul F 500 Oslo for our home. So far the stove look and burns great, but we have a concern.

This past weekend I finished 'breaking it in' and really fire it up Sunday for the first time. There was a 2-3" bed of coals in the stove at the end of the night which we left until the morning.

My conern is, even though the clearance requirements to combustible wall material (in our case wood framed wall with sheet rock and batt insualtion) is met the sheet rock walls were getting very warm. Even hot to the touch in some spots. Too hot to keep your hand on the sheet rock for more than a second or two. I checked the clearances in the manual (for a corner installation) and it seems ok.

The stove is caddy cornered. The jotul manual states clearances for a corner installation is only 9", which make sense from the heat shield but not from the actual cast iron. But the other clearances for the side (alcove) installation is 14". I dont under stand what the difference is, if the wall is parallel or on angle the closest measurement to the combustible wall doesnt change. The wall is there or not... Ultimately, I'm concerned that the clearance should be the 14" rather than the 9". I called the dealer and they assure me the clearances are correct, but we are definetly uncomfortable with it.

Further, the stove has a rear heat shield installed. I was told a double wall pipe was installed up to the underside of the sheetrock ceiling, then it transitions to metalbestos pipe in through the attic and up to the sloped roof and out. The floor is porcelain tile over cement board on wood subfloor on wood joists.

Any advice is be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill

It sounds like a proper installation Bill. Though you are not the first to be concerned about warm walls with the F500. If you can place your palm against the wall for a second or two, then it is probably under 130 degrees. Sheet rock should be safe up to about 180 degrees sustained temp.

But your peace of mind is also important. I'm wondering if the stove could be moved out on the hearth. Is your stove top or rear exit? Would it be possible to extend the hearth if you wanted to move the stove further out away from the walls? The other alternative would be to heat shield the walls. The shield could be tiled to match or compliment the hearth if desired.

Bill, welcome. I've moved your question to it's own topic so that it's easier for other's to find later on.

Hi. Im new to forums as well and after I noticed my post was deleted I created a new one here.

Jotul Oslo Clearances. Interior walls too hot
The topic can be found at: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/172352/

The tile base might work well, and since it covers the whole floor in this area it can be pulled forward. But since the pipe goes stright up from the back and becasue of this it would be difficult to shift forward. For now I may just install a metal heat shield at the wall until I put up stone or something. I realized from the other thread that the dealer and installer overlooked the clearance for the side load which I will have to call them about tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas.
Bill

We're cross posting. The side door is not supposed to be used in a corner installation. If you go for a heat shield, it should be held one inch off the wall by non-combustible spacers.

The reason I asked about extending the front part of the hearth is that the stove can be easily be changed to rear-exit. Then you can move the stove forward and add a double-wall elbow to the rear-exit to connect with the existing piping. Why? It will move the stove into the room about 9" which will increase the sidewall clearances nicely. Here's a picture of our rear-exit setup. Note there is a draft damper too.

Attachments

• jotul_exit.jpg
    jotul_exit.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.