Jotul 500 oslo hearth protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsil

Dec 25, 2007
western maine
According to the manual all I need is a non combustible surface for the hearth pad. Would 2 layers of duroroc plus tile directly over wood floors be sufficient? Do I need more, or is this overkill? I will also be adding the rear heat shield. Thanks, Doug

Sounds like a good plan. With wood floors underneath I would also suggest a layer of sheet-metal for heat disbursement. Make sure you get 'porcelain' tile and PEI-4 or PEI-5 rated for the weight load factor.

Two layers of cement board and tile is what I use for my Oslo. I don't know if it is up to spec or not, but my township approved it and it is what the dealer said to do.

Honestly, the tile never gets hot to the point where you can't hold your bare hand against it indefinitely. I really can't imagine the temperature that would be required to somehow ignite the wood underneath the two layers of cement board and tile to the point that it would combust without having an air supply, but what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.