Jotul 55 Install Ideas and questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttingedge

Nov 11, 2013
Maine
I have decided that we are going to replace our insert with a free standing stove next year and have pretty much decided on the Jotul 55 Carrabassett. As far as installation goes, I would like to remove our current insert and fill in the void left in the brickwork and hopefully make it match. I would like to add a thimble for the new stove and have the chimney lined with whatever the best liner is. Is there going to be problems down the road with this design? What if I have to change the liner in the future or need to upgrade to a different size? Also what type of base should I go with? I would like to keep that simple and maybe use stove board but I am having trouble finding one that will cover the width of approx 60".

Here are some pics of my idea (image of stove taken from someone here) Sorry about my artwork or lack thereof:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 99
Measure this one out very carefully. The thimble will have to go over the damper area. Measure the location of the damper and mark with chalk on the face of the fireplace. Now go up at least 4-5" and mark that as the thimble location. Is this feasible or is it at the crown (just below the mantel) of the fireplace brick? Also, the wood mantel will need to go. It is too close to combustibles. Maybe replace it with a stone mantel. You can make your own hearth pad for the stove. It's not very hard. Or you can buy something from Yoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.