Jotul 550 Blower Fan Problem - Squealing noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
So one of my blower fans has been making a squealing noise for the past couple months. When I take off the grill and move it a bit it will stop but then start again. Well it has now gotten worse, to the point were I have to turn it off. When off, the fan doesn't freely spin but only a few rotations were the other fan will spin forever. I think there must be some debris in the fan itself so I have tried blowing it out with the can air-spray which helps for a little bit, but then it starts to squeal again. Do I need to take off the bottom piece under the grill to get the fan out? Once out is there anything I can do myself other than to blow it out with the air compressor? Or do I just send it back to Jotul to fix? I have had it for 3 years now also. Luckily the other fan still works and the season is almost over - but I can't get out as much heat. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure how the fan comes out. I would check your owners manual or the Jotul website for information on that. I would try running the fan out of the stove, though, to isolate whether it's the fan itself or how it's mounted that's causing the squeal. I suspect it's the bearings which may not be serviceable.

Here's a link to the manual-

http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood inserts (USA)/Jøtul C 550 CB Rockland/Manual_138940_Rev_C C 550 CB Manual.pdf

[quote author="Wood Heat Stoves" date="1302369930"]I'm not sure how the fan comes out. I would check your owners manual or the Jotul website for information on that. I would try running the fan out of the stove, though, to isolate whether it's the fan itself or how it's mounted that's causing the squeal. I suspect it's the bearings which may not be serviceable.

Here's a link to the product page with the manual-

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/main-menu/products/wood/wood-inserts/Jotul-C-550-Rockland/

The fan is just slid in on that unit. You should be able to pull it out and disconnect the plug so you can get a better look at it. I would try and oil it once it was out. If that doesnt fix it contact your dealer maybe they can give you a few more ideas.

If slight pressure makes the squealing go away, the blower fan cage might be rubbing on its shroud. When you have it out, clean it well and oil it. Then look carefully for rubbing marks and clearances between the squirrel cage fan and the shroud. You may be able to bend out the shroud slightly to stop this if you find a point of contact (it's be shiny).

Thanks for the responses. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Here is what happened. To take out the fan you have to loosen the two nuts on the floor on either side of the on/off switch and then slide the thin bottom panel (surround) out. Then the fan will just slide out also. So I blew it out with the air compressor and it still did not rotate very well. Next I looked it over and you really can not take it apart. The bearings appear to be in a sealed cover (can you tell I don't know what I'm talking about). So next I sprayed some wd40 on the fan shaft on both sides and it started to spin better. Not as smooth as the other fan, but it now spins around more than once if you spin it by hand. So I plugged it back in and it runs great (no noise). I'm sure it will need to by lubed again but for now it works Did I ruin anything by using wd40? What should I use? I have graphic grease from my sons cub scout pinewood derby cars. Thanks

I would take it into an electric motor shop and ask them to clean and lubricate it. It's not a good idea to use WD40 here. That's not a lubricant. Silicone spray would have been better as a temporary measure.

Thank for the advice. I will do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.