Jotul 550 Insert and use of an OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
I have decided that I am going to go with the Jotul 550 insert and I am wondering if an OAK can be used on it. I have read the debates on this forum for and against OAK's so I am not looking for another debate on OAK useage. I would really like to know if the Jotul 550 insert has a connection for one. If it does, do you use the same control to damper up and down? I already have a 3inch OAK directly into my existing firebox (traditional masonry firebox) on the bottom left side wall. I wanted to see if I could hook it to the Jotul 550? Thanks

Since installation and user's manual makes no mention of an outside air connection it is a safe bet that it does not have provision for an OAK.

I also saw that - but I was wondering if any owners of the 550 had considered it. I have not seen the 550 in person, so I wasn't sure if maybe there was a hookup -just not shown on their web site/manual. Also - if there is no way to use an OAk -why would Jotul do this as they would lose sales in States like Washington that require it.

I have the smaller 350 Winterport, and I don't see any provision for hooking up an outside air kit. The primary air comes in the top front of the stove just above the top of door. The secondary burn air seems to come from the bottom back of the stove, perhaps that could be hooked up to outside air but there is no mention of it in the installation guide. Is this really required in Washington?

Status
Not open for further replies.