Jotul 550 or Osburn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea I like it! Not an installer but I don't see the problem. My insert's top is much closer to the lintel, probably 2". Cannot hardly get a hand in above the stove. Thankfully it has a draw down that allows you to pull the liner into place and lock it in from inside the stove itself.

Where's the stove vent end up? Maybe the angle from the liner through the damper to the stove vent makes it tight?

The center of the 6" vent is 7 3/4" from the back of the insert. which places it 11" at its center point from the back wall of the hearth. I think what he is worried about is interference of the smoke shelf on the liner, hence the reason why he wanted to use an offset box to move the 6" vent back so there is less bend, or if they couldnt get it to bend to that degree.

I sent him the information and suggested they bring the extension box as a precaution, but try to install it without it. I think the clearance might be enough, but if I'm wrong, they can use the offset box and I'll fork over the extra $150. After this, I plan on giving him the 2x4 frame so if he wanted to do another mock up in another customer's stove, he could use it.

I'd opt for an appliance adapter if at all possible. Offset box seems hard to clean.

I'd opt for an appliance adapter if at all possible. Offset box seems hard to clean.

I'm not sure that would work but I can always ask him about it. It would likely be similar in cost since I'd likely need to use two 45's or a combination of two.

Might be able to come through the damper area at a slight angle and then connect to the flue outlet with a 15º or 30º angle. It depends on how deep the lintel is and damper location relative to the flue outlet on the insert. I would have the installer bring those two elbows along and state that your preference is to use the offset box only as a last resort.

Might be able to come through the damper area at a slight angle and then connect to the flue outlet with a 15º or 30º angle. It depends on how deep the lintel is and damper location relative to the flue outlet on the insert. I would have the installer bring those two elbows along and state that your preference is to use the offset box only as a last resort.

Agree with you on that completely. I'll ask him to do that and see if that will work.

Happy to report that they got it to fit and did not have to use the offset box at all. I just completed my first low-temp break in fire and am waiting for it to cool down to do #2...

15403854_10101421167740639_1169466455245252305_o.jpg

Very nice, may you have many safe and warm fires

Nice looking insert.

Happy to report that they got it to fit and did not have to use the offset box at all. I just completed my first low-temp break in fire and am waiting for it to cool down to do #2...

View attachment 189728
Great! It looks very nice there. I'm glad to hear they didn't need the offset box. You will be too.

Yeah straight up the installer was like "I don't believe in offset boxes. We will make it work" They did a great job and they were clean, professional and just all-around nice guys. My dog certainly approves... And yes. My Wife had to surround the fireplace with stuff. So far nothing is getting too hot on the sides, but only time will tell if those stupid plastic cone things on the right or the candles will start to melt... (part of me wishes that they would... shhh don't tell my wife)
15440323_10101423434158719_109015614711459232_o.jpg

If you don't like the stuff on the hearth tell here the manual says it doesn't meet clearance to combustibles and is unsafe. Only looking out for the family/kids/her/dog/cat/hamster, whatever applies. You didn't hear it from me though.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Damn, why didnt I think of that? I already told her it was safe...

Damn, why didnt I think of that? I already told her it was safe...
Yes, but then you found out you were wrong and can't in good conscience take chances with the safety of your family. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.