Jotul 550 Rockland surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrador

Jul 19, 2008
upstate New York
road runner
I have just installed a 550 Rockland in a double sided fireplace. The problem I am encountering is that there is a one inch space between the brick face and the top of the 31x40 cast iron surround. There also is a space that decreases from top to bottom( where there is no space) . It appears that the insert itself is not flush with the brick hearth face. How can I fix this? My setup is exactly like the one on the cover of Jotul's brochure. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also any thoughts on its ability to heat an 850 square foot room with an eight foot ceiling?

Sometimes you just gotta get a little creative. First, what is the fireplace material? Brick? Stone? I mortered two pieces of 1/4 inch steel stock to square up and narrow the width of my fireplace opening to correct the same problem. Second, that insert will have NO problem heating that space. Take a couple pics, including a couple close up, to show us the situation.

I installed a Jotul C450 Kennebec last month.
Had a similar issue, 1" gap on both sides between insert and fireplace opening.
Did not like neither the size (extra 4" all-around) nor the price of the add-on "surround extension" which Jotul offers for this model, and decided to fabricate my own.
The photo shows the result. 2 pieces of steel studs from Home Depot, appropriately trimmed and the pieces riveted together, a little stove cement, a can of stove paint spray, and it's done. It bolts to the original surround where the "extended surround" would have been bolted onto.
My wife (who is a very picky person on the aesthetics side) loved it! I like it too.

Get creative, or buy what Jotul has as a surround extension for the Rockland.

Attachments

• rIMG_1216.jpg
    rIMG_1216.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 626
Well done IK, that looks like a factory install. I had to do a similar surround addition when we had the pellet stove and used 4" strips of black painted sheet metal for the extension.

I'm a newbie to this site and to fireplaces. My husband and I just bought a 1974 brick house in Western New York. It has a very large (41"W 28"H 34" D) double-sided stone fireplace in the center of an open floor plan (1500sf) with cathedral ceilings. We have 4 acres of woods and 15 cord cut, stacked and dried ready to go this winter, so wood-burning is must. We've fallen in love with the Jotul 550 Rockland and are thinking of having it installed soon. The hearth is 16" and the floor surrounding it is stone, so I don't think there should be any problems in that area. Any pros and cons to this idea would be greatly appreciated from anyone with experience with these inserts. I see that some of you are having problems with a space between the surround and brick face - from what I've described, do you think I need to worry about this also? And, any ideas on what to do with the other side of the fireplace that would face the back of the insert?

labrador said:
I have just installed a 550 Rockland in a double sided fireplace. The problem I am encountering is that there is a one inch space between the brick face and the top of the 31x40 cast iron surround. There also is a space that decreases from top to bottom( where there is no space) . It appears that the insert itself is not flush with the brick hearth face. How can I fix this? My setup is exactly like the one on the cover of Jotul's brochure. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also any thoughts on its ability to heat an 850 square foot room with an eight foot ceiling?

I had my Rockland 550 installed about two weeks ago. The double sided fireplace is 38" deep so I had plenty of space left over on the other side. It has glass doors on the back side to closeo keep heat in.Iave not fired it up yet (too warm) but when I use the insert I hope there will be enough heat coming from the back to provide some heat on the dining room side. We did a lot of research before we bought the 550. We have an 850 square foot large living and dining room and kitchen. The rest of the heat will be brought down a long hallway to a 400 square foot bedroom. Hope this answers your questions. As for the one inch space it might possible be that the insert itself is not flush with he brick face.

gmoney, sounds like a nice fit. Perhaps you can have a perforated metal screen mounted in a surround for the back side. Painted up, it could look quite intentional. That would cosmetically cover up backside, yet allow heat to escape from the back side.

Thanks for the great idea. The only TWO drawbacks are 1. convincing my wife and 2. I have antique wrought andirons on the back side of the stove,(just for looks).

You can make the back surround as fancy and pretty as you like, including andirons. The perforated metal section can be painted black and recessed. All it takes is money ;-).

Status
Not open for further replies.