Jotul 550 vs. Quadra VG Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sako1

Aug 27, 2007
Hello All,

I'm going to get either the Jotul 550 or Quadra Fire Voyageur Grand and would appreciate any opinions and comments about the differences in the units. I'm currently leaning toward the Quadra Fire given:

-Larger viewing glass
-Hidden hinge on door and Andirons
-Handle design
-Longer burn time
-General appearence

But, I do like the Jotul's
-Long term reputation and name
-Firebox size & design

Any opinions greatly appreciated, and don't let the fact I'm leaning toward the Quadra hold you back on your opinion; thanks.

Dave

It was a toss up between the two for myself as well. Went with the Jotul after reading these forums and persuaded by the local vendor. I liked the idea of a single air control on the Jotul.

Good luck.

Mine gets installed Nov. 28th

ekg0477,

What's the downside two air controls, is it the risk of unwanted air infiltration?

Good luck with your install.

Dave

For me the downside was learning how to control 2 air intakes, rather than just having one sliding control on the Jotul. I'm just starting out with wood inserts so I couldn't tell you the real downside (if any)

i have no experience with either, but i have ready posts on here where they were have huge problems with the ACC system on a Quad insert. It was staying wide open all the time creating short burn times. I don't know if it was ever fixed or corrected.

Given some of the fairly new over-engineered problem prone appliances I now own, I'd like to keep it both simple and reliable. Leaning toward to Jotul, thanks for the input.

Dave

This is my second year with the quad vg and it works really well for me. Although honestly I never use the Acc air during start up. I think the problem was that the instructions for it are not that clear you have to push it in then pull it back out. It took me a couple of fires to figure that out other wise it stays open. Other than that it works really well for me. If you have any questions about it I would be happy to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.