Jotul 550c Burn Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my insert last feb and I had the same thing happen to me. My burn times wern't that great. I was getting 5 hours of burn time. One thing I noticed is that you have to have a really good bed of ash to get long burn times. They say that ash is a insulature and your coals wont burn out as fast.
So for my napoleon insert I have to have at least two inches or more of ash to get a good eight hour burn and harder woods like oak and hick
Also my box is only 2.7
I hope this will help as it did for this newbe.

I must admit that being the proud new owner of a Jotul 550 is a great feeling. Viewing / joining this forum after purchasing a unit is second to none. All of the advise has been solid, with no detectable BS and I truly appreciate the help. Although, I burnt wood growing up, I have never had to think about it the way I do today. In the day it was simple, dad would say "cut the wood, split the wood, stack the wood, move the wood to the house, and finally, don't let the fire go out!!!". Today I am looking for the best possible BTU to $$ ratio and want to see the manufacturers claims hold up under real life circumstances. You guys / gals have been great!!!

Cheers,

BB

The BI Guy said:
Although, I burnt wood growing up, I have never had to think about it the way I do today. In the day it was simple, dad would say "cut the wood, split the wood, stack the wood, move the wood to the house, and finally, don't let the fire go out!!!".

Cheers,

BB
That's what I'm talking about! I just throw it in and enjoy the warmth. That's what I love about my classic.

Great point! If the wind blows slightly out of the north (or I guess blows at all) I am looking for an excuse to crank it up and usually do. It was 85 when I did my break in fires (my excuse was; I could open the windows to get the smell out), also cranked the AC to cool the house back down. Great fun! Has anyone posted a compilation of some of these posts? Like:

1.) So you want to buy a wood stove?, what you should know!

2.) So you bought a wood stove?, what you should know!

3.) Having problems with your wood stove?, www.hearth.com

Makes sense to me....

I dont think ill turn on the ac to cool down the house but i do have the door open as my insert is running around 275 :lol: The way the weather has been latly on the east side were in for a long winter so burn wisly as wood is allways harder to find under the snow.good luck in your burn times and my you stay warm this winter with that new purchase.
I cant wait to see my insert burning with them rolling flames and the house is at 75 and it 10 out side There nothing like working for free heat and not paying that oil man

Amen. I used to have it in for the snow plow guy, lately, I cannot stand to see the oil truck. 6 cords split and stacked, 3 cord of that 2 years old. I am filling the oil tank only for backup (I travel from time to time for work). The AC was only on to cool the house during break in because I did the break in burns in August. :) Love to burn...

Status
Not open for further replies.