Jotul 550vs. Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeyvulture

Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
Which one to buy? They both have good reputations, look great, and have large fireboxes. Main difference is the Jotul is flush mount and the Hampton sticks out. Flush mount conserves hearth space but maybe doesn't throw as much heat with the blower off. I am leaning toward Jotul for its sterling reputation and conservative good looks.

What say ye, experts?

if you like them both, take the blower cfm's and reliability into your consideration. Pretty important issue to consider... if your using it to keep warm.

better baffle and door handle on the jotul

I looked at the 550 and just couldn't squeeze it into my firebox according to my sweep. I probably would have gone with the 550 for the flush look but I went with the HI300. This is a solid stove in both construction and looks. Yes, it does stick out onto the hearth, but it doesn't take it over in any aspect. This stove can fit into both a casual room or a formal room. The one benefit to having the stove stick out is the radiant heat from all the cast on the front and sides of the stove. I have no regrets with this stove.

You'll be happy with any of these stoves. I think the only thing you need to decide is the flush look or the extra heat you get with the exposed cast of the HI300.

Keep us posted and make sure you take pic's when you do it.

Read the warranties. You will find the Hampton has a much better one!

I suspect that the difference in exposure of the Hampton vs. the Jotul will not make a big difference. The big thing that I learned with the Jotul is not letting the fire go out. So much energy is spent heating the walls and the hearth and the bones of the house. Once you get to that point the stove really starts doing work. That is why many on this site have said that their inserts do their best work when it is coldest. I suspect it is because when it is cold, we are more diligent about not letting our stoves go out. That being said, most of us on this site endorse the stove we own. You will likely do the same with either the Hampton or the Jotul. I was deciding between those about a year ago. I am not disappointed in my purchase at all. It is a top notch product. I say that being a person who is notorious for buyers remorse! One caveat, If there is a possibility that you could do a freestanding stove, it is something to consider for quicker and more abundant heat. It was not an option for me.
In my opinion, a SS liner and block-off plate are a must for optimal draft and performance. Makes cleaning a snap as well. I installed mine myself, with help. Good luck and take advantage of that tax credit before it goes away.

I have the hampton and went with it because the wife wanted the brown look. I can tell you I really enjoy it and do get overnight burns with hardwood. The dealer was a turd, hampton waffled with a problem, but when everything was right it has been a treat. Either is a beautiful stove...

I considered the Hampton too when looking for a new insert. I settled on the Jotul because of the overall construction. The blowers are easy to access and clean which is really important to me since the blower on my old insert broke after one season of burning...... The air tubes were also more solid on the Jotul.

You will get more radiant heat from the Hampton due to it not being flush. Comes in handy if there is ever a power outage where you live.

Tough choice.

I also went with the Jotul because the dealer was much more helpful and honest than the dealer who was selling the Hampton. (I had an awful experience with the dealer who sold me our first insert so a good dealer was another priority. I have not been disappointed in the after sales service which has been a huge relief this time around.)

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thanks to all responders for the helpful comments. I have gone from zero knowledge to a pretty good level of confidence, thanks to this great forum. Nobel prize for the founders!

Status
Not open for further replies.