Jotul #6, How do they burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hello, I have came across a #6 Jotul in good shape and I can not find a dealer who ever saw one. Is this stove going to be an absolute wood pig or a old honest heater that does a fine job. I have a ranch home with about 2,000 square feet and am now comfortably heating with a Ashley ASA7 coal stove.

I used to have a Pacific Energy Spectrum in my old salt box home and it was a good stove. I am just really into the cool old cast iron stoves and am trying to find one that heats as good as it looks and is o.k. on wood to. As a coal burner, I guess the green aspects are not too high on my list so that is why I do not seek an EPA stove. If I was the 118 Black Bear catches my eye.

Bushman

I can't find much info on a #6 in my quick search. I have owned a 118, 606 and 500, I haven't found one of them to be a wood hog. A friend of mine has a #8 and loves it. If it is a good price and in good shape I would buy it. I love my 500 but the older Jotuls' I have owned were as easy on wood and me as my new one.

I'm guessing it gets a 6 out of 10 for how it burns..... ;-P So some good heat output, but poor burn rate control with lots of smoke and no overnight burn.

Sorry I'm of no help.

I got overnight burns with all of my Jotuls. Not a tremendous amount of smoke if you have seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.