Jotul 600 DV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kvangord

Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
I need help!
My Jotul 600 DV won’t stay lit, it will randomly go out and other times it will work just fine. The stove seems to have a mind of its own, the flame will float off the burner and the stove will go out. The only thing is, when the glass front is removed it will light fine and as soon as the glass is replaced the flame will float out. I understand that this could be a problem with the vent but have no clue what to do. This is the 7th year we have had the stove but it seems to get worse and more temperamental each year. The thing is I have no problems lighting the pilot. ANY SUGGESTIONS..

How is it vented? it sounds like it is starving for air. Your vent maybe be blocked.

6 inch horizontal off the back of the stove, 90 degrees up, 24 inch straight, 90 into existing masonry chimney. I've checked to make sure there is no blockage because thats what the company tech department suggested a few years ago.

Do you have any pics by chance? This seems like a unique install. Any time i hear stove burns with glass off and not with glass on the first thing that comes to mind is lack of combustion air. Have you ever changed any of the air settings?

Sure sounds like it's starving for O2.
I'd say you've either got a blockage, or one of your connections
has come apart, allowing exhaust to re-enter thru the intake.
Did you check to see if the chimney liner is still connected?
Is there a bird's nest or a beehive in the chimney restricting the incoming air?

This is, you could say, a unique install. It is connected to an existing chimney hookup. Im not sure what you mean by air settings? Air Shutter? I messed with the air shutter and I have also restrictor plates. Nothing has seemed to work. I know that it is trying to oxygen but no clue where the problem could be. I have taken everything apart and checked all the connections. Everything appears to be fine. I have also checked the chimney and there doesn’t seem to be anything restricting the flow of air. There seems to be a problem with starting when we turn on the rocker switch too, sometimes the crazy thing wont start. I've talked with Jotul tech line and they told me that I have a blockage but its apparent that there is nothing blocking the flow. I've tried attaching a picture but it is too big...if you are interested I could send it through a personal email to you...

kvangord said:
This is, you could say, a unique install. It is connected to an existing chimney hookup. Im not sure what you mean by air settings? Air Shutter?

There are adjustments air flow based on the height of your chimney. Check the manual

I messed with the air shutter and I have also restrictor plates. Nothing has seemed to work. I know that it is trying to oxygen but no clue where the problem could be. I have taken everything apart and checked all the connections. Everything appears to be fine. I have also checked the chimney and there doesn’t seem to be anything restricting the flow of air.

Do you have a 4" aluminum liner going from the wall attachment to the cap? Are there any rips or tears in it? That is your exhaust. The intake is everything OUTSIDE of the liner. What do you have for a cap? Is the cap clear?

There seems to be a problem with starting when we turn on the rocker switch too, sometimes the crazy thing wont start. I've talked with Jotul tech line and they told me that I have a blockage but its apparent that there is nothing blocking the flow. I've tried attaching a picture but it is too big...if you are interested I could send it through a personal email to you...

Have you taken the burner tube out & checked inside the gas line behind the brass burner orifice? Sometimes there can be a restriction there which will delay start up, but shouldn't cause any "lifting." Try jumping the TH & the TH/TP terminals under the unit on the valve terminal block. If there is no delay in ignition, then you may have a bad wire or bad switch. I'll take a look at the pix. PM me & I will send you my email addy

This has a vertical termination, right?
I assume you are connected directly to a liner in the chimney.
If so, that is essentially another 90 degree elbow.
Your install manual tells you that a MAXIMUM of TWO 90
degree elbows are allowed in a vertical termination.
You need to turn the flue collar to a vertical position & vent off the top.
You will then have ONLY two 90s in the system.
That install should work extremely well for you...

Thanks very much for the input. It looks like I am going to have to take some of these ideas and mess around with the chimney a bit. I really appreciate the ideas-

Status
Not open for further replies.