1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Google "Stove Bright."

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mass_burner

mass_burner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    yes, I know Stove Briight will work, I was hoping to paint cast iron color. I don't have time to wait for shipping either as install in this weekend. If I give a 2 coats of 1000 temp primer, could I get away with a coat of 500 temp cast iron?
  3. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Are you honestly asking if primer provides enough insulation to take a 700F stove top temp down to 500F?

Stove Bright in cast iron gray color from Amazon using Prime shipping, overnight for $4 shipping. What's the trouble?
  4. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Am I? So if I give a 2 coats of 1000 degree temp primer, then I paint a top coat with 500 dgree temp cast iron, would the top coat fail at 700 degrees? Just asking.
  5. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    It will likely fail somewhere just above 500F, as advertised. Primer doesn't modify paint... just provides masking and adhesion.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That stove is an extremely rare find. Take the time to paint it right with the correct paint. Waiting a week for paint is not that big a deal. FWIW, our local hardware store carries StoveBrite.
  7. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass

yea, we have StoveBright too, but not in castiron. You're right. I guess I can proceed with the pipe through the roof install, but not hook up the stove until after I paint it correctly.
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Not sure what color you consider cast iron, but one of my Jotuls is done in their metallic black, and looks great. I guess Metallic Gray would be closest to cast iron, and can be had from Amazon overnight, if you're in a rush.

http://stovepaintbyjim.com/stovechart.jpg
  9. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    i was thinking charcoal, by the color in my local fireplace store, it looks the closest to what the stove looks like now. like a well seasoned cast iron pan, not shiny, darker.
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Hmm... I don't have a lot of cast iron cookware, but the few pieces I do have are all glossy black!

To each his own... don't want to tell you what color you should choose... just what type of paint to use! That's a great little stove you found, there. As begreen already stated, the chances of finding a 40 year NOS Jotul is very rare. Take good care of it!

PS - my favorite color on those 602's was always green. Dunno why... I don't think any other stove style looks good in green.
  11. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
  12. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
  13. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Metallic black is the most common color for stoves. It has a nice dark grey patina. The web color chart images make it look too black.

Paint the stove wearing a vapor mask in a well-ventilated space. The fumes from this paint will rot brain cells. Fortunately it dries pretty quickly.
  14. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    It doesnt just stink when its sprayed, no matter how long you wait, the first few fires it will stink.
  15. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, the paint bakes with heat and will outgas until cured. This will happen when the stove reaches about 550F.
  16. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    okay, I just painted the stove with Stovebright's Charcoal. It looks great, glad I waited for the paint.

I going to set it on a 1.5" slab of bluestone. Installation tomorrow.

20131018_100618.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
    Joful likes this.
  17. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Nice! Can't wait for the install photos.
  18. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Perfect, that looks great.
  19. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    ran into some issue on the install, not too bad, joist in the way that needed to be adjusted etc. But the section from the chimney cap down to 4-5" into the room is complete. Now I just need to assemble pipe to meet the SS section.

A question:

1. I have a 5" to 6" adapter made for Jotul stoves (top exhaust). Do they have a special type for double wall? The male end of my damper does not fit easily into the adapter and I don't want to force it. Is this too low, should I place the damper up higher?
  20. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    [quote="Paint the stove wearing a vapor mask in a well-ventilated space. The fumes from this paint will rot brain cells. Fortunately it dries pretty quickly.[/quote]

Yes! Nasty stuff. I painted in my driveway, but I had to kneel on the ground to get the legs and caught some vapors. Gets you light headed really quickly. There's a couple hundred thousand brain cells I'll never get back!
  21. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I'm not sure I follow your description, so pics would help, but each segment should be crimped to fit into the next and sometimes it's necessary to adjust the crimp depth a bit, for proper fit. I did find I needed to crimp my stovepipe a little more heavily to fit the Jotul F12's collar, possibly they're 150mm diameter whereas our pipe is 6" (152.4mm).

The tool used to adjust the crimps looks like this:
    860848.jpg

The exception is the transition from liner to stovepipe, which is usually made using a piece called an "appliance adaptor".
  22. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    here are some pics. I think the damper piece is too low, so I think I need a male/female 2' section. But the issue is still the same.

20131021_132811.jpg 20131021_132835.jpg 20131021_133001.jpg 20131021_133007.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  23. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That looks like Selkirk pipe. I think you'll need make the crimp more aggressive. FWIW, I didn't need an adapter for connecting the adapter to M&G doublewall DVL pipe.
  24. mass_burner

Loc:
    SE Mass
    It is Selkirk. I'll see if my local shop can crimp it further. Do you think 18-24 " above the stove is a good place for the damper?
  25. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    18" should be ok. That is about where we had ours.