Jotul 602

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, I know Stove Briight will work, I was hoping to paint cast iron color. I don't have time to wait for shipping either as install in this weekend. If I give a 2 coats of 1000 temp primer, could I get away with a coat of 500 temp cast iron?

Are you honestly asking if primer provides enough insulation to take a 700F stove top temp down to 500F?

Stove Bright in cast iron gray color from Amazon using Prime shipping, overnight for $4 shipping. What's the trouble?

Are you honestly asking if primer provides enough insulation to take a 700F stove top temp down to 500F?

Am I? So if I give a 2 coats of 1000 degree temp primer, then I paint a top coat with 500 dgree temp cast iron, would the top coat fail at 700 degrees? Just asking.

Am I? So if I give a 2 coats of 1000 degree temp primer, then I paint a top coat with 500 dgree temp cast iron, would the top coat fail at 700 degrees? Just asking.
It will likely fail somewhere just above 500F, as advertised. Primer doesn't modify paint... just provides masking and adhesion.

That stove is an extremely rare find. Take the time to paint it right with the correct paint. Waiting a week for paint is not that big a deal. FWIW, our local hardware store carries StoveBrite.

That stove is an extremely rare find. Take the time to paint it right with the correct paint. Waiting a week for paint is not that big a deal. FWIW, our local hardware store carries StoveBrite.

yea, we have StoveBright too, but not in castiron. You're right. I guess I can proceed with the pipe through the roof install, but not hook up the stove until after I paint it correctly.

Not sure what color you consider cast iron, but one of my Jotuls is done in their metallic black, and looks great. I guess Metallic Gray would be closest to cast iron, and can be had from Amazon overnight, if you're in a rush.

http://stovepaintbyjim.com/stovechart.jpg

i was thinking charcoal, by the color in my local fireplace store, it looks the closest to what the stove looks like now. like a well seasoned cast iron pan, not shiny, darker.

Hmm... I don't have a lot of cast iron cookware, but the few pieces I do have are all glossy black!

To each his own... don't want to tell you what color you should choose... just what type of paint to use! That's a great little stove you found, there. As begreen already stated, the chances of finding a 40 year NOS Jotul is very rare. Take good care of it!

PS - my favorite color on those 602's was always green. Dunno why... I don't think any other stove style looks good in green.

Metallic black is the most common color for stoves. It has a nice dark grey patina. The web color chart images make it look too black.

Paint the stove wearing a vapor mask in a well-ventilated space. The fumes from this paint will rot brain cells. Fortunately it dries pretty quickly.

It doesnt just stink when its sprayed, no matter how long you wait, the first few fires it will stink.

Yes, the paint bakes with heat and will outgas until cured. This will happen when the stove reaches about 550F.

okay, I just painted the stove with Stovebright's Charcoal. It looks great, glad I waited for the paint.

I going to set it on a 1.5" slab of bluestone. Installation tomorrow.

20131018_100618.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Nice! Can't wait for the install photos.

Perfect, that looks great.

ran into some issue on the install, not too bad, joist in the way that needed to be adjusted etc. But the section from the chimney cap down to 4-5" into the room is complete. Now I just need to assemble pipe to meet the SS section.

A question:

1. I have a 5" to 6" adapter made for Jotul stoves (top exhaust). Do they have a special type for double wall? The male end of my damper does not fit easily into the adapter and I don't want to force it. Is this too low, should I place the damper up higher?

[quote="Paint the stove wearing a vapor mask in a well-ventilated space. The fumes from this paint will rot brain cells. Fortunately it dries pretty quickly.[/quote]

Yes! Nasty stuff. I painted in my driveway, but I had to kneel on the ground to get the legs and caught some vapors. Gets you light headed really quickly. There's a couple hundred thousand brain cells I'll never get back!

I'm not sure I follow your description, so pics would help, but each segment should be crimped to fit into the next and sometimes it's necessary to adjust the crimp depth a bit, for proper fit. I did find I needed to crimp my stovepipe a little more heavily to fit the Jotul F12's collar, possibly they're 150mm diameter whereas our pipe is 6" (152.4mm).

The tool used to adjust the crimps looks like this:
860848.jpg

The exception is the transition from liner to stovepipe, which is usually made using a piece called an "appliance adaptor".

here are some pics. I think the damper piece is too low, so I think I need a male/female 2' section. But the issue is still the same.

20131021_132811.jpg 20131021_132835.jpg 20131021_133001.jpg 20131021_133007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like Selkirk pipe. I think you'll need make the crimp more aggressive. FWIW, I didn't need an adapter for connecting the adapter to M&G doublewall DVL pipe.

It is Selkirk. I'll see if my local shop can crimp it further. Do you think 18-24 " above the stove is a good place for the damper?

18" should be ok. That is about where we had ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.