Jotul 602CB Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Fellas,

A few questions.

I just purchased the 602 today. I'm going to install it in my family room. I have a raised heatform fireplace circa 1955. The chimney will be lined with an SS liner, block off plate, ect.

I would like the stove to sit back inside the fireplace. If I remove the fireplace floor, shown in the photos above I will have more than enough room.

My question is, has anyone ever done this? are there tips and tricks to removing the brick?

I set the stove infront of the fireplace for photo purposes, should I just leave it there and save the trouble?

Attachments

• wood stove 009.jpg
    wood stove 009.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 305
  • wood stove 010.jpg
    wood stove 010.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 334
  • wood stove 011.jpg
    wood stove 011.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 294
  • wood stove 013.jpg
    wood stove 013.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 290
last pic

Attachments

• wood stove 015.jpg
    wood stove 015.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 292
If it were me, I think I would go for the "easier" route and just build (or buy) a hearth and leave the stove where it is . . . a benefit would be more radiant heat radiating from the stove through the room vs. radiating from the sides and top into the brick.

I looked into the short leg kit, it was a great idea but wont work for my needs. If I used the short leg kit I could fit the entire stove into that raised fireplace, but, I couldn't use the cook top, as I would have only 5 inches clearance.

I have kicked the idea around of just buying a heart pad......it's starting to seem like a good idea. I would still like to set it back inside a little bit.

Would I lose any heat having it set inside? This stove does not have a blower..

Maybe rotate the stove and use it sideways, putting the long side against the hearth? Then angle the rear vent 45 deg towards the damper opening, and attach to a 45 elbow connected to the liner? The hearthpad would still need to be adequate for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.