Jotul Allagash...How do I get it to work properly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tired of the cold

Jan 16, 2015
New York
Sorry, for a first post I know this is a one long one but I appreciate the patience of those who read it.

I just got a free standing Jotul Allagash 300 DV from a long established Jotul dealer. I did a lot of research, had experience with a friend's Jotul and loved it. I still think/hope it was a good choice. The main issue is how it is supposed to work and look when it is turned on with the embers distributed properly. How high and what color should the flames be? How would these things affect the heat output? It is to heat three rooms that equals @ 960 square feet. It's a 70's built house with not great insulation...but it's insulated. Presently, the stove is not heating this area. It should be big enough....or at least that's what I was told when I originally wanted to get a Lillehammer. I am certain the flames are not going high enough....at least I hope not.

The installer, the seller, the gas company AND JOTUL (especially the nasty, disrespectful local rep) have been either unhelpful or useless.

The installer said my questions/concerns weren't his problem, they were the seller's, he is only the installer. The seller said it was the gas company's. The gas company said it was the installer's and seller's. Jotul also told me it was the seller's issue. And it's gone round and round. Though the seller is now taking a chunk off the price of the stove.

I really don't want to file complaints or spend more time chasing people down. I just want my stove to do what it is supposed to do....and I hope my expectations are on target.

Can anyone tell me what the stove should be looking like when lit? What might be causing the lack of heat output? Are there adjustments to experiment with? Should I have a blower installed?Are there other resources out there I can consult? Finally, this has been a bone of contention between my spouse and I. I think the stove should be set via the remote on 60 degrees and left to work all night long (or when we go out) so on the bitterly cold days/ mornings we are not trying to heat the rooms from 50 degrees. My spouse wants to leave the stove totally off. So, what we wind up doing is putting on the electric heat until the house warms to 70 and then turn it off the electric heat and let the stove take over...how well it does this is often iffy.

So, there's my story....any ideas? anyone?

Can you post some pix of what the flame presentation looks like?
The flames should be blue near the burner & yellow from there to the tips.
Are you burning LP or NG?
If you are burning NG, how far from the meter is the stove, what diameter gas line is run from the meter
& how far does the that diameter go before it is reduced?
How many OTHER appliances are fed by this gas line?

Status
Not open for further replies.