Jotul Allagash thermocouple-pilot light?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cold-feet

Oct 4, 2014
denver, colorado
My jotul allagash, well I should say my third allagash gas stove, I've installed 3 of them over the years in our house, has been a nuisance since day one. It's been fussy about lighting, firing up when it feels good and ready and not quite when I was hoping it would.

I initially in some innocent mindset replaced the off/on switch. No help. Last year I replaced the thermocouple and thought I was brilliant as the stove started working reliably. I felt smart until this year when the stove didn't turn on when it got cold a few days ago. Thinking it had worked last time, I replaced the thermocouple again. No help; the stove didn't start. I sat and looked at it for the longest time, read a manual online and noticed that the picture of the pilot light flame, bathing the thermocouple looked quite different from my stove's pilot light on which the pilot flame didn't even reach the thermocouple. Adjusting some little screw I found diminished the pilot flame but didn't increase it. Thinking I should clean the pilot orifice, I unscrewed the pilot gas feed line. Well unscrew isn't the right term. I turned the nut holding it in place and the pilot feed line broke off.

While I am waiting to figure out where in the world I order a replacement from, well I know where in the world, Sweden, but from who to order the replacement feed line, I was studying one of the manual's online and notice that they suggest a larger orifice for high altitude. Denver is the mile high city after all, so I'm thinking perhaps that has been the problem from the start. too small an orifice to adequately heat the thermocouple.

Still the jotul manual describes a pilot assembly that is different than mine, one in which the dispersal piece where the flame comes off, 'pops off'. Mine doesn't. They also describe a screw in orifice. Not mine, it simply sits on top of the little nub thing that was at the end of the pilot feed line. Was at the end until I unscrewed the bolt and sheared the feedline off as the nub was jammed tight onto that bolt and twisted the line as I turned the bolt.

Long story short, is my idea that I need to use a larger orifice on track?

Status
Not open for further replies.