Jotul audit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotul Bob

Jan 9, 2017
Maine
Hello out there!
I'm new to hearth.com and fairly new to burning wood in my 8+/- Year old jotul f3 cb. I've read most specs of burn Temps and longevity but seem to not be getting the control of the fire that I should have. With all vents closed and only a 16 ft Chimney the fire steadily goes instead of being choked from lack of air. I've checked gaskets with a dollar bill, finding a couple soft spots in the ash pan gasket. I plan on replacing the gasket to ensure a tighter fit, I'm wondering if the stove may have a warp or other defect? Any one have suggestions?

Thanks

The stove may be operating properly if it's not overheating. Normal stovetop operating temp for this stove is 400-650F. Modern EPA stoves keep a small amount of air coming in so that the fire doesn't smolder and the glass stays clean. As the primary air is closed down the vacuum of the draft pulls more air from the unrestricted secondary ports for clean burning. It's good to check the gaskets though and make sure that the ash pan door is closing tightly. Sometimes ash can build up behind it. Also make sure that the start up air is closed.

Wonder how much wood you burn each season and what the baffle looks like? Does it appear straight or warped at all?

The stove may be operating properly if it's not overheating. Normal stovetop operating temp for this stove is 400-650F. Modern EPA stoves keep a small amount of air coming in so that the fire doesn't smolder and the glass stays clean. As the primary air is closed down the vacuum of the draft pulls more air from the unrestricted secondary ports for clean burning. It's good to check the gaskets though and make sure that the ash pan door is closing tightly. Sometimes ash can build up behind it. Also make sure that the start up air is closed.

Excellent advice here all around . . . on normal operation (when I cut back the air oftentimes the fire gets more intense as the secondaries really start to get going), checking gaskets and about making sure there is no build up of ash behind the ash pan.

Welcome to the forum Jotul Bob !
There are a lot of kind ,knowledgeable folks here to help you out . What kind of stove top temps do you have with a full load of dry wood ? Can you control the burn when closing the inlet air down ? I would definitely replace a leaky gasket .
Happy burning ,
Dad