Jotul Black Bear question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudofire

Sep 11, 2010
Muskoka, Ontario
Just wondering if anybody out there burns with a Jotul Black Bear. I need a stove to heat a 1400 sq ft, well insulated house and would like any feedback on this unit.

Is this a newer, EPA unit?

I have a very old non-EPA knockoff, rarely used. The nice thing is it takes a 24" log. But you can't fit very many in at once! If nobody who burns one shows up here, check out the review section. I would think the firebox size could mostly handle 1400 sf, but maybe not in a real cold snap. I might go bigger myself.

I never used this as a full-time heater, it's just an old knock-about in a semi-finished basement gameroom/workroom for occasional warmups. But I gather there's a difference between the old-style cigar burn and the new-style secondary tubes, so you're really going to want to track down users/reviews of the EPA model.

Status
Not open for further replies.