Jotul: Break In Fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drew

Nov 21, 2005
Well, I've gotten our little F3 installed. The technician started the first break-in fire, which caused a few fumes, nothing big. I fired up the second break-in fire a bit ago. Boy is it fumy and smoky. I walked over and you could see the fumes emitting off the front of the door. Is this what it does? I read in the manual that I should expect some smoking and fumes, but these on the second fire is pretty overwhelming...having to open windows and even a door for a bit. 34* out now with flurries. It doesn't smell like wood so I suppose it's that stove paint?

How much smokiness should I expect and for how long?

I will try to get some pics tomorrow or after the holidays. My wife did a fabulous job on the pad...her first tile job.

thanks,
drew

Yes, this is what it will be like for the first couple of fires. I'd say it's the equivalent of leaving a pizza in the oven too long with intense paint fumes added for your smelling pleasure.

Deffinetly open a couple of windows near the stove to let out the fumes! It's rough, I know because we broke in our stove on a very cold in December last year.

The smell seems to vary from stove to stove and how long since it was manufactured. Is your stove enameled or natural cast iron? Our stove sat on the floor for a year, before we bought it, and I was surprised that the smoke wasn't too bad. However, I installed it in early Sept., so my early fires were with the house wide open. It should get much better after about 3-4 break-in fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.