Jotul Buffs,,install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnn

Dec 8, 2008
so.Ill
Jotul seems to be the only stove which has issues with my fireplace openings. The C350 and C550 are too wide for my opening,,leaving the 450, which seems to be too wide for the rear minimum opening.. However where the back of the firebox would sit once installed,,i would meet the required minimum opening. Would that be sufficient for a good install?

Does the 450 offer a single door option? How about the 550, does it offer a single door? I just feel they are more maintenance free and would be more air tight during normal use, am i incorrect in my assumption?
I could shoe horn the F-500 with the shorter legs offered,,,does the F600 offer the shorter legs,,or would the legs from the 500 fit?? Again, comes up the double doors,,does the 600 offer a single door?
Thanks

From everything that I have seen the c450 now comes with a single door. I have not seen one in person but the Jotul site shows it that way. The back of my firebox on my masonry fireplace would be too narrow for my c450 if you were to try to put it all the way into the fireplace. On mine you would not even try to do this because the front of the stove would be behind the surround. If you can, post a dimensional drawing of your fireplace so that others can try to see if it will work. I can tell you from experience that the rear fireplace dimension is only critical if the depth of the firebox is shallow.

the literature i have from a small town, small dealer,shows 2 different measurements at the rear. One says 25 1/2,the other is 23". The adjustable depth is from 14" to 17",,at that depth my opening exceeds the 25 1/2 width,,,for the firebox is 24" deep,and 24" wide at the back. So it sounds as though you are saying,,that the minimum fireplace opening is only relevant as to where the back of the stove sits??This stove needs to pass inspection,and im not sure how that measurement is applied.

There are better drawings posted on the Jotul site in pdf format under manual for the c450. The drawing on the site shows that the depth of the stove into the firebox can be set anywhere from 12 3/4 to 16 3/4 depending on how far out you want the stove to sit . I needed mine to be set into the opening 16 3/4 to make it easier to hook up the liner. At 16 3/4 setback my fireplace was much wider than 25 1/2. These dimensions are listed not for clearance for code but for installation purposes. There are other drawings for clearance to combustibles. Hope this helps,Jim Joul webpage that has manual listed:http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-450-Kennebec/

thanks for clearing that up

ml said:
... I could shoe horn the F-500 with the shorter legs offered,,,does the F600 offer the shorter legs,,or would the legs from the 500 fit?? ...
Thanks

My local dealer told me that all current Jotul legs are interchangeable. I found that I was able to take some short legs I bought for my Jotul Gas Allagash and use them with my new Jotul F500 Oslo.

We ended up widening our firebox near the back to get our Jotul C450 installed - you can look thru the link below to get the idea, but imagine breaking the firebrick out and replacing it in a wider config to meet the space needs. Pic 3 and 4show the clean yellow brick in the back corners in the wider config. Also needed to trim the front flanges of the shroud about 1/2 inch each side to get it to fit flush in the front given the narrow opening of our firebox.

Ml, You should be able to lay out a template on cardboard of the foot print of the insert with the dimensional information in the manual. You can also draw the location of the outlet on the template. If you are unsure of your measurements or layout skills enlist some help from someone fairly mechanically inclined to lend a hand. By placing the template in the firebox you should be able to get a pretty good idea where your liner will line up with the stove and any interference issues. This should clear up any confusion and keep you from buying a stove that will not fit your fireplace. Good Luck, Jim

thanks all,,some good ideas and information,for the reading with pics :) I remember your thread now oconnor,was impressed with the stone look of the concrete then, and once again,,thanks for your help guys,,have some options to kick around yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.