Jotul C 118

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Stove

May 20, 2015
North Carolina
I am new to wood stoves and an opportunity to buy a C 118. This stove is supposedly 30-40 years old. I cannot find any info on it on the web.

The stove is installed in a house we are buying. I need to make a decision today as the owner wants to sell it or take it with him. I have seen it only once and didn't inspect it as the owner had planed on taking it with him. he has since found out it is not compatible with his new house so he would like to sell it. I suspect it is well maintained as the owner kept the house in great condition. We close on the house tomorrow from long distance and I won't see it again until we move in during the summer.

Are these units general so well made that it's worth it? Asking price is $400 as they need to move out of house asap.

I appreciate your opinions and thoughts on this.

Thanks!

You have to ask yourself what intentions do you have w/ this stove? Are you going to use it once in a blue moon or are you going to run it as a regular heating source. If your going to run the stove once in a while, ie: cold Sunday, thanksgiving, x-mas eve type of thing then you may want to keep it providing it is not cracked or warped and in good working order. If your planning on using it regularly then you may want something better / more efficient so you can save on wood usage / cleaner burn. Also what type of chimney is this connected to? is it a slammer style install? is it a metal chimney or a masonry with liner?

Could this be a Jotul F118? The Jotul F118 is an excellent log stove. There is a wealth of information about the F118 stove on the web and here. $400 seems like a bit of a high price for this time of year unless the stove is in very good condition inside and out.

Do you have any pictures? We may be able to quickly ID the stove from them. Also, do you have shots of the interior of the stove? There are sacrificial burn plates in it that often are the first point of failure. The baffle should also be checked for warping, cracks or holes.

Beware that there are copies of this stove made in Taiwan. Be sure it is a genuine Jotul. Here's what the F118 looks like. Note that it says Jotul on the door and has a Norwegian blessing on the top front.

Jotul F118_old style.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.