Jotul C 450, Beauty and Brains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiredup

Aug 25, 2008
Eastern Long Island , NY
Hi everyone. Well after careful consideration we've made the decision to go with the Jotul C 450 Kennebec. The living room where the insert will be is 220 sq ft. The house is a single story 1400 sq ft ranch with one raised room (3 steps up). The stove will not be a 24/7 operation, mostly late afternoon start. I really appreciate everyone's input and looked at most of the inserts which were suggested. We fell in love with the blue/black enamel, which is not a high gloss. Now my question is........... Is $3,347 reasonable for this insert? The dealer said it would have October availability. The other costs associated are $695 for the liner, $650 for install and $313 tax for a grand total of $4595. (The matte black insert was $2937). I know other inserts are less expensive and are true work horses, but this insert is the one I really fell in love with. I looked for dealers within a 50 mile radius, 3 in CT, 3 in NY. I plan on calling them tomorrow. I would like to get more opinions from anyone who can oblige. By the way, I also picked pretty BP solar panels. :)

I paid just under $2400 delivered for the Jotul C550 in matte black, delivered in the hearth. This was in June of this year. I was at the shop recently and prices are slightly higher. I used Preston Trading Post in SE Conn. I am having remorse about not getting the blue/black enamel like you. Your price seems expensive, but I know that everything is out on LI. Call Preston regardless, they will likely steer you right even if they are not going to sell you a stove. If you could evr find a way to get out there with a pickup truck you could save $500, net gas etc. I looked at the C450 as well and their price, in June was around $2200 delivered. I know that they are back ordered on Jotuls right now as well. Good Luck.

Good choice. The C450 is both beautiful and a good heater. I like the blue-black enamel a lot too. The price seems high. Worth shopping around to see if you can get a better deal, but ultimately it will also depend on a dealer you can trust, especially if they're doing the installation.

There is a stove store on Main st. in Patchogue. I almost bought that stove from there last year. Instead I went with the Hampton from a place in Islip. Good luck with the search!

Status
Not open for further replies.