Jotul c 450 insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gforce1

Dec 10, 2011
Lakes Region, NH
So i just purchased and installed my first woodstove. Did a ton of readng and had many. conversations woth dealers. Today is my 2ndfirst day of real burning for heat and perfect timing as temps are beginning to drop.
Few questions. Best place to read temperature and which method? Ive been using IR and shooting it at different spots. I feel the most true temp is the pipe / collar. This is due to design. Lets start there. Im on my phone browser and my battery's. Gonna quit ty

It seems I'm in a similar boat. First timer this year and also went with the Jotul c450. I got an Inferno stove top magnetic thermometer, and put it on top in the convection airstream. It appears accurate enough, but don't try to mess with it at that spot when the stove is hot. It's a dark area, and the bar can hide the needle in the cold and hot ranges. Generally that's fine with me because I want to know where I stand between 400 and 600. I don't need a tool to differentiate between 200 and 700. I just keep a flashlight handy. The blower probably does bias the reading a bit.

Even with my IR gun, I don't recall having luck getting a good read on the pipe/collar of the flu. That gap is pretty small. You're really getting a good read from that? Huh.

Best,

No answer for you guys . . . but I did want to welcome both of you to hearth.com . . . I am sure later tonight we'll get more folks here who will answer your question Gforce.

greg has it in a good spot. the best advice i can give is to keep it in one spot, then take temps with your IR all over the the place. Once you know that spots temp in respect to others, theres no need to move it. Sometimes in different points of the burning cycle the relative readings can be different, but on average they will always be x degrees hotter or colder than that one spot where the thermo is.

Status
Not open for further replies.