Jotul C350 too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
So I am entering my third or fourth year burning with my Jotul Winterport (small guy that does our 1100 sq ft ranch out just fine). Question is this. I have great oak and maple to burn that has now been sitting for two years and was previously burning good wood, but not great seasoned wood as I am now. It seems to be burning hotter, surprise surprise and I can get great secondaries, but now I am concerned with how hot the stove can get. How hot is too hot. I have looked in the manual and can't find a temp that they recommend to stay under and this stove is doing great tonight with no end in sight and now I am getting a tad concerned. No way for a chimney fire, clean as a whistle and cleaned just a few weeks ago - but I don't want to kill my great little stove.

Any ideas on whats too hot? I have read 600 is where most are comfy, but why not 700? why not 800? Where is that limit?

Thanks.

Some say if it's 600 stove top..the inside is double that.
I try to stay away from anything hotter then 600.

bears12th said:
So I am entering my third or fourth year burning with my Jotul Winterport (small guy that does our 1100 sq ft ranch out just fine). Question is this. I have great oak and maple to burn that has now been sitting for two years and was previously burning good wood, but not great seasoned wood as I am now. It seems to be burning hotter, surprise surprise and I can get great secondaries, but now I am concerned with how hot the stove can get. How hot is too hot. I have looked in the manual and can't find a temp that they recommend to stay under and this stove is doing great tonight with no end in sight and now I am getting a tad concerned. No way for a chimney fire, clean as a whistle and cleaned just a few weeks ago - but I don't want to kill my great little stove.

Any ideas on whats too hot? I have read 600 is where most are comfy, but why not 700? why not 800? Where is that limit?

Thanks.

I emailed the company that makes Lopi (Travis Industries) for the stove top temps and ours was 600-800 for a high burn, we burn between 600-700 most of the time when it is cold out, so I would email Jotul and see what they say.

zap

HotCoals said:

Then I am in trouble. After a turn down @ 500F, this is where it peaks/ climbs too for awhile. No flames. Temps taken above the cat. Other areas around the stove are 500 to 600. So far so good.

Attachments

• low.jpg
    low.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 512
I would die of a heat stroke in my house if I let the stove run that hot!!

NATE379 said:

Thats on low after the turn down. These temps are above the cat. You will be running a minimum of 500+ above the cat, even on your stove after your turn down for the 1st hour or so. Put a thermo there.

Getting back to the OP's question for a non-cat insert. The limit is when the stove is overfiring as indicated by a dull red color of any part of the stove according to Jotul. This roughly equates to temps above 855F. But the temps on the insert front are not going to be the hottest place so a greater margin is needed. Unless the surround is removed, you can't check at the flue collar or top of the insert. Hopefully we will get some C350 owners chiming in here, but in general for an insert, staying under 700F on the front seems prudent.

Yes I have one, usually runs around 400*

north of 60 said:
NATE379 said:

Thats on low after the turn down. These temps are above the cat. You will be running a minimum of 500+ above the cat, even on your stove after your turn down for the 1st hour or so. Put a thermo there.

NATE379 said:

But Nate, we sometimes get the impression you live in an igloo! No doubt with the cold you experience outside you keep it not too warm on the inside simply because of getting used to the colder temperatures. But I suggest sitting back and enjoying the heat until March when Mackey shows up again.

north of 60 said:
HotCoals said:

Then I am in trouble. After a turn down @ 500F, this is where it peaks/ climbs too for awhile. No flames. Temps taken above the cat. Other areas around the stove are 500 to 600. So far so good.

I question your stove top gauge some.
I have had my cat just about pegged after close down and have not seen above 650 off a IR gun right where your gauge is.
But I'm sure it's possible.
I usually close down at 350...or even lower,whenever the cat gets close to half.still fairly warm here yet though.

BeGreen said:
Getting back to the OP's question for a non-cat insert. The limit is when the stove is overfiring as indicated by a dull red color of any part of the stove according to Jotul. This roughly equates to temps above 855F. But the temps on the insert front are not going to be the hottest place so a greater margin is needed. Unless the surround is removed, you can't check at the flue collar or top of the insert. Hopefully we will get some C350 owners chiming in here, but in general for an insert, staying under 700F on the front seems prudent.

I understand that for both the C550 and 450 you can put a temp gauge in the space where hot air blows out of the insert (in fact, I have done that myself on the 450 - and it works great). Is there such a space on the 350 where the OP could do the same? This is the only reliable way of knowing how hot the stove is - unless the stove is glowing, of course... Both the 550 and 450 run naturally very hot (mine likes to criuise around 700) so I would assume that Jotul would build the 350 with similar characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.