Jotul C450 Fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotcookcpl

Jun 13, 2008
Western MA
My wife and I are looking into filling the gaping hole we have in the living room (our fireplace). Our local stove shop carries Jotul and VC. We really liked the look of the new VC Montpelier wood insert, but with everything VC is currently going through we are leaning more toward the Jotul C 450 Kennebec insert. Any comments on the direction we thinking of taking? The stove shop sells more Jotuls than VCs. What are the feelings here about the Jotul inserts? Any problems or concerns? We'd like to get this right the first time, it's going to expensive pretty fast and we'd hate to make a mistake.

On the plus side for VC, we have an Intrepid stove that we like very much. We were going to stick with VC until we found out about the problems.

Thanks for the help.

I own a couple of Jotul free standing stoves but not the insert. That said, in my two or so years of babbling on this forum I have never seen a Jotul insert owner have anything but high praise for their insert.

We rarely hear complaints about the Kennebec and most frequently they are due to issues outside of the insert. Jotul makes a first rate product, with IMHO an exceptional enameling process.

I've had one for 3 seasons now. If I were to have to go the insert route again I would buy another. No major complaints. Burn times are 8+ hours with good wood and operation is VERY simple. Its a well built product that will last for many, many years.

Nothing but happiness with mine. Just be sure to have a block off plate installed, made a big difference for me. Approx 1100 sq ft ranch that is about 35 years old, single pane windows with aluminum storms screwed onto the outside. Heats the whole house fine with one little fan at the end of the hall way to move the warm air to the back bedrooms. Basement is cold but main level is nice and warm.

I have had my 450 kennebec for one season now. Very high quality and absolutely love it. Very simple to operate. I would definitely buy this or any other product from them again. Zero issues. It can be mounted either flush or pulled out slightly (5 inches or so) and extending onto the hearth. I am extending the hearth in a couple of weeks so that I can pull it out on to the hearth for better heat transfer. I have the blue-black enamel and it is definitely worth the extra cost - durability and looks.

Isn't the VC a catalytic stove? The jotul is non-cat

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.