Jotul C450 Hearth R-Value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosehead2185

Sep 29, 2014
Connecticut
I have installed a Jotul C450 insert in to my fireplace and I will need about 6" of hearth extension to meet code. (Stove sits a couple inches proud of the fireplace which is slightly raised above the wood floor). The manual says that I will need a hearth extender with an R-value of 2.92. This seems significantly higher than any pre-made hearth extender I have found on the market.

I found this conversation on here but they talk about making one yourself.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...arth-extension-on-jotul-kennebec-c-450.25453/

Anyone know of one that can be bought pre-made? Or tips on an easy build to make it to the manual requirements?

You're right, that is a very stiff specification. Yoder makes a 12" x 48" extension and they will customize protection to your spec. If you don't want to make your own I would contact them.
http://www.hearthclassics.com/thermal_protection_thermashield_xtreme.php#anchor_floor_protection_sys

Thanks for the link! I really only need the extension to be about 8" x 40" wide so maybe they can do something for me. It just seems like overkill since I have my insert on a raised (4") hearth above the wood floor. I don't really understand the need for R=2.92 on that wood flooring area. It seems like I am going to have to have a 2"+ thick cement board and Durock on the floor.

It would take 1" of Micore 160 and a top layer of 1/2" Durock to achieve R=2.91. Add tile on top and you would be good to go. You might want to contact Jotul and see if the 4" rise over the floor level reduces the R requirement considerably. That might help qualify a type 2 extension pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.