Jotul C450 install and questions!---Pictures added

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyjr

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
Central Ohio
Liner arrived from Chimney Liner Depot yesterday. Two days from the call to delivery great service. Coal and Woodburner Shop in Toledo called and said they had recieved my insert from their distributor and were shipping it out. Insert arrived less than 24 hours later, what stellar service. Now the ball is in my court, hope to be up and running by this time tomorrow evening. Wish me luck! Thanks for everyones help and input.

Rudy, ya gotta get pics !!!!!

;-)

Hey rudyjr,

As a rookie who just did a DIY install I live to see others efforts in this forum.. Please post away along with verbose descriptions of you project..

I also went with Chimney Liner Depot, Nice folks and when I had an issue with the chimney cap they shipped with the liner kit they made it right. Initial
ship on the kit was lightning fast, took some time to get the replacement cap but it was worth it. Nice place to deal with overall.

Thanks

Started about 9 a.m. Saturday morning. Went to the local HVAC distributor and bought a piece of galvanized pan material and some high temp silicone. I took the material to the shop where I work and cut it down and used a brake to form the sides. This is pretty light gauge and you could easily do it by hand with a block of wood and hammer. I was back home and setting up the ladder by 10:30 to line the chimney. My next door neighbor heard me setting up the ladder and offered to help. What timing!! By about 12 noon we had the liner in place. I had to cut away part of the damper throat for the liner to pass, not a big deal with a 4 inch grinder and cut off wheel. This chimney has not had a damper plate for over 25 years and had a Lemance damper that the chimney sweep removed for me. I packed rock wool around the pipe and installed the block off plate with tap cons, and siliconed the outside perimeter. We removed the brick, doors, and outside shroud from the stove and decided it was still too heavy to move down the stairs. We went to the local Home Depot and rented an appliance dolly.By 1:30 we were ready to move the stove. If I was doing this again I would use a heavy duty dolly from work because we had to use a ratchet binder instead of the strap on the dolly because it is too high up to use. I think the bigger air filled tires on a heavy duty dolly would work better. We used 2 pieces of scrap sheet metal on the hearth under the stove to keep from marking the brick and make it easier to slide into place. The pipe with the appliance connector lined up perfectly, I was pretty sure it would be close from my initial measurements. One man pushing up on the pipe the other pushing in the stove, both of us to pull the pipe back down into the collar. Three stainless steel screws in place I went back outside to terminate the other end of the pipe. My neighbor ran the dolly back to Home Depot while I packed rock wool around the top of the pipe and finished the top off. I spent about an hour and a half carrying parts downstairs and installing the blower and surround. One tip that worked for me: remove the extra bolts on the back of the surround that are supplied for the extensions. They can get in the way and hang up on mortar joints during installation. I had a small fire going by 4:30 and was cleaning up tools.This stove really puts out some heat even with a relatively small fire going. We turned down the thermostat to 63 at 7 pm and it was 67 when we went to bed at 11, which is where we had the stat set. It is sure nice to have a fire in the fireplace and not have the furnace running non stop to keep up! The blower was set on low and worked perfectly. This seems to be a really well built unit, everything lines upand works well .This is wordy but some of you asked for it, thanks for everyones help.

Trying to post pics, see if these work.(yes I know the firewood carrier is too close need to find a new spot for it)

Attachments

• DSCF0611.JPG
    DSCF0611.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,398
  • DSCF0613.JPG
    DSCF0613.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,466
  • DSCF0617.JPG
    DSCF0617.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 4,447
  • DSCF0618.JPG
    DSCF0618.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 4,377
She's awesome Rudy! I love the look of that stove. That's a very nice clean installation. Thanks for posting the pics.

Nice old school look. Love the side by side above. Great Job!!!!

Don't ever forget and hang that beautiful old double barrel back up there loaded! The insert installation looks terrific, I love it. Rick

Understood, rudy, I figgered it was a museum piece. Right purdy, though! Rick

Looks great! I almost went with the Jotul but decided to go with the Hampton HI300. Mine's going in Dec 26th! Good luck and be safe during the break in!

Nice looking job, and I bet it's going to be a heck of a heater for you. I usually put the wood staging to burn right about where your firewood carrier is... use your best judgement once you see how hot that area gets... ;) Advantage of an insert that lives inside the fireplace is the disadvantage. It's inside the fireplace, and the heat mostly stays there unless you turn on the blower. I have an old VC insert, looks vaguely like the one you've got if you apply some imagination. When the blower is running and the thing is nearly 600 degrees per a magnetic thermometer stuck on the bar in the middle of the door, you can literally hold your hand on most of what you can touch, except the doors. A child would recoil from it, but so long as no contact is made with the door, it's not too hot.

With the blower off, it'll boil water on top in the front... brick surround gets hot and radiates heat for hours after it goes out.

Rudyjr said:
Hi temp silicone around the perimeter of the block off plate not around the liner, see pictures,and read all of your quote.

Yep, read through your post too quickly. Good on ya.

Looks nice! I just installed my Jotul 550 myself last month. It took my father in law and I about the same amount of time as yours. I couldn't be happier with the stove, the whole family loves it. There was definitely a little extra satisfaction in installing it myself. Good luck.

Looks great Rudyjr! I love the way the stove blends with the rustic look of the wood. You may want to keep the stock of that shotgun well oiled to keep it from drying out. Mine puts out a lot of heat on our mantle at what looks like the same height. (our mantle is concrete). Clearance specs on the Kennebec are really tough, but I don't see a mantle causing a fire before you see the problem on the surface first - but I wouldn't want that gun to split.

Break it in, burn it hot (mine runs 750F on the top in front of the flue outlet) and enjoy the heat and light!

Looks great! I put my blockoff plate in pretty much the same spot. I really had some trouble getting my liner and connector into the stove. Glad to see it all worked out. Not only that but you got help from your neighbor too. Maybe even opened his eyes and taught him how to do a good install if he decides he likes your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.