jotul C450 install question - air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozibit juice

Nov 21, 2013
whitehorse, yukon territory
Hi,

on my way to installing a Jotul C450. noticed a cold air intake on the back of the unit. If I choose not to use this intake does it have to be sealed off? as well, is the other air intake on these units right on the front under the doors?

Thanks!

Odin

I have the 550 so i can only advise you compared to that. I assume they are very similar in air passage design. The intake on the back of the 550 feeds the secondaries and should not be blocked. If the manual doesn't say anything about it, leave it open.

That intake on the back is the primary air inlet. Your combustion air. If you seal it off you will have a big nice looking paper weight sitting in your fireplace. Look at the air flow on page 15 of your manual.

Stoves haven't had the inlets under the doors for years and years.

i was mainly worried that if the primary intake was on the back of the unit that it would not get enough air on account of being in the back of the stove surrounded by the original masonry fireplace. it sounds like what I'm hearing is that if i install the c 450 as usual and leave a bit of room on the back of the unit i.e. not pushed right up against the back wall. then i should have no problem with air intake regardless of whether the primary intake is on the front near the door or in the back?

i was mainly worried that if the primary intake was on the back of the unit that it would not get enough air on account of being in the back of the stove surrounded by the original masonry fireplace. it sounds like what I'm hearing is that if i install the c 450 as usual and leave a bit of room on the back of the unit i.e. not pushed right up against the back wall. then i should have no problem with air intake regardless of whether the primary intake is on the front near the door or in the back?

Mine has been installed just that way for five years and works flawlessly. The stove gets plenty of air flow around the surround.

Reactions: oconnor
Status
Not open for further replies.