jotul c450 kennebec question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krex1010

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2010
southeast pa
i was hoping anyone with experience with this stove could share their opinions on it. what kinda ok burn times are you getting? what do you think of the quality of the unit? how much space can you effectively heat? and any other info you may want to share.

Love the stove/insert. Burn times depend on wood and how dry it is. I load it up at 9pm and when I get up at 5:30am there are plenty of coals to relight. On really cold nights I get up for the call of nature and throw a couple smaller pieces in to keep the temp up. Quality is fine have had it about 5 years and had no problems with it. House is ranch with walk out basement. About 1100 sq ft on main level and basement about the same. Basement gets cold, 45 degrees, as there is no heat down there. Doesn't matter though. Have a hard time keeping up the temp when it is consistantly in teens and single digits. We have single pain windows with aluminum storms screwed onto the outside and low quality doors. This spring we are getting all new windows and doors so that should make a huge difference in heating.

My results are similar to scroungers. Load it up at 9:00 pm and at 6:00 am there are plenty of coals left to get the next load started (keep in mind I'm burning oak, locust, hickory, mulberry....the premium stuff). No quality problems to speak of. My only complaint is that the fan control is not variable speed, just hi or low. Its been a great stove, I'd buy another if I move to a house where an insert fit better than a free standing stove. Btw, I'm heating about 1400 sq. feet with cheap double pain replacement windows, the house is nowhere near air tight.

thanks for the replies, i have been looking at stoves for a few months now, i think i have my choices narrowed down to the c450 or the avalon rainier. anyone know the size of the firebox on the c450? jotul doesnt have those numbers listed in their brochures the rainier is 1.8 cu ft and i think the jotul may be a bit larger, but i'm not positive.

They don't advertise the size of the firebox for the c450, not sure why. Somebody took the measurements and did the math a couple years ago, 2.1 sq. ft. IF I remember correctly.

Been checking out the Kennebec myself, but think I'm going with the Rockland just because I have the space for the bigger stove. Like the flush a little better too. I asked my local dealer the box size and he called Jotul. The Kennebec is 2.07 and the Rockland is 2.08, so right on with the 2.1

I think the kennebec is easier to load than the rockland: the firebox is square, no tapered, and the load door is taller.

Kennebec is a great stove - no problems at all, and have taken it to temps that would scare some (me included) without disasterous results. Only gripe I would have is the high K values for the hearth extension that it requires - give that a look before you take the plunge. No real issue for me - floor temps are quite comfortable, but I certainly could not meet the specs from the manual.

boostnut said:
My results are similar to scroungers. Load it up at 9:00 pm and at 6:00 am there are plenty of coals left to get the next load started (keep in mind I'm burning oak, locust, hickory, mulberry....the premium stuff). No quality problems to speak of. My only complaint is that the fan control is not variable speed, just hi or low. Its been a great stove, I'd buy another if I move to a house where an insert fit better than a free standing stove. Btw, I'm heating about 1400 sq. feet with cheap double pain replacement windows, the house is nowhere near air tight.

I have the 450 and I fixed that Variable Speed problem with one of these...and it works great!

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008

Yanks, how long have you been using that speed control? I've seen it (and ones similar to it) but didn't know if it would have a negative affect on the life of the fan motor.

boostnut said:
Yanks, how long have you been using that speed control? I've seen it (and ones similar to it) but didn't know if it would have a negative affect on the life of the fan motor.

I used it for a year so far. I don't think it should effect the life of the fan. I love it. To be able to dial it down is really nice.
I will keep using it until the fan motor burns out. That could be 10 years from now. If it dies too soon I will know that I shouldn't
use it anymore. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.