Jotul C450 Thermometer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

odonnell0917

Hearth Supporter
Oct 23, 2009
Philly Suburbs
Can anyone recommend a Thermometer for the Jotul C450. Also, where do you put it on the stove. There does not seem to be much surface area.

I love my newly installed insert and have had 5 fires so far. I really appreciate any help. I have learned so much from this forum.

I have a 550 and tried different thermometers borrowed from fellow woodburners. None were that great, went online to amazon and bought an infrared with the correct heat ranges. Love it and now my friends borrow mine to test there stoves. Also it has allowed me to find the cold spots in the house that I have caulked and filled with insulation. Already it has saved me more then the cost, I think. Away from home at this time or I would relay the units specifics.

I also have the 550 and an IR thermometer.

Both inserts have the space on top where the hot blower air exits the insert. THere are pictures here somewhere from previous winters that show magnetic Rutland thermometers placed in that space. I tried it but found it hard to read so I went the IR route and love it.

I found those threads on putting the magnetic temp right inside where the hot air comes out. It works well for me. I found that I put the 500 temp pointing out since I have been keeping the temp between 500 and 600 currently. I keep a flashlight handy and just point it in there once in awhile and it is easy to see. Also it beats having the temp on the outside since it is not the most attractive thing. Otherwise people say if you put it on the outside then double the temp to get an approximation. An IR one would be cool, but this method is working fine for me now. Check this link https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8690/

There are some other links too.

Ahh yes, the 'ol Mike Wilson magnetic thermometer position. Has worked fine for me for about 4 years. May not be an ideal spot but it sure is nice to have something to reference without sticking out like a sore thumb. What ever happened to Mike? Me thinks he was one of the first members here to have the C450.

Only thing I tried was using a variable speed router control. Worked fine but I worry about the long term effects on the motor. Still waiting for somebody a little sharper in the electrical department to resolve this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.