Jotul C550 Rheostat Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxburyeric

Feb 6, 2008
Western Connecticut
Any 550 owners have issues with their Rheostat (the fan speed adjustment dial)? Mine doesn't work right when it is turned all the way to the left (high) just before turning it off. I can only get about 3/4 speed out of it. On full high it goes slow like it is on slow speed. I called the Dealer about it and he is checking with Jotul on the Warranty. He said he thought it was only 1 year on this part but I asked him to check as their warranty talks about it but under the heading of Gas products. The wait stinks as I feel like I can't get the maximum heat out of the unit and it has been cold here in CT. Luckily it warmed up today but cold is coming back soon.

Aren't there any 550 Owners out here?

do you observe this in both automatic and manual mode?...I am sorry: I can't think of anything which may help you

I only use my blower on manual. Sorry I can't help you either....

Rheostat operation is independent from auto/manual switch setting. Power goes to rheostat first, then to switch. In the auto setting, power is diverted to the snapstat, then to blowers. Sounds like a rheostat gone bad. Should be a simple fix, easy to replace. Hopefully the dealer will cover the part for you.

Thanks. I am waiting for the Dealer to call me back. Hopefully Jotul will cover it.

Keep us posted!

I have a non-related question: I looked at your installation pictures. I am curious: did you glue the power cord along the fireplace mantel? it looks very nice. I am fishing ideas to try to hide this horrible cord as much as possible. Thanks!

On the side of the rheostat unit there is a small white potentiometer adjustment That will change the fans low speed setting. it is very small like the head of a pen cap. try adjusting that and see if there is any change.

The cord is not glued it just stays like that plus the wood box holds it tight against the side. It worked out that that it is also the best place to keep the tools (on the left side) so it hides it somewhat.

I will look for and check the adjustment on the Rheostat when I get home from work today and then post an update. Thanks for your help.

Try calling Jotul and ask for a tech. They are very prompt , last week the handle fell of my 550 and they sent me a complete new handle assembly in the mail. their phone number is 207-797-5912. Good Luck. PS. There is a forum here just for 550 owners. Labrador

Labrador, out of curiosity...why did you call Jotul directly and didn't go to your dealer? I tried to call Jotul yesterday about a question I have but I wasn't able to talk to anyone: just voice mail (and I am still waiting for answer). Maybe I should try again.

Roxburyeric said:
The cord is not glued it just stays like that plus the wood box holds it tight against the side. It worked out that that it is also the best place to keep the tools (on the left side) so it hides it somewhat.

I will look for and check the adjustment on the Rheostat when I get home from work today and then post an update. Thanks for your help.

Thanks. Definitely looks good!

I tried adjusting the side screw and it did keep the fan on high - but then I had no low settings. I will call Jotul tomorrow.

The pots on rheostats are very sensitive. You have to adjust them low enough so that you can get your low speed, but not so low that you stall the motor. It probably only has 1/4 turn of adjustment. So you want to adjust it for your max high speed as well as your min low speed. A real small amount of adjustment can make a big difference.

I was adjusting my fan speed last year when the Rheostat sparked and blew right before my eyes. I was pissed b/c we all know how useless these things are w/out the fans. After waiting for my dealer to call back I removed the Rheostat, drove to the dealer and they gave me one from the floor model.

Worst case, you can buy a rheostat for $15. They are not super complicated and if you can do basic home wiring, you can install this. Go to a local electric supply store and they will have one. Bring the old one with you so that you can match it up.

So I called the Jotul Tech on Thursday and left a message. No response yet. The message did say for consumers to call their Dealer and that they returned calls to Dealers first. The Dealer told me on Thursday that they called and it was not cover under the warranty (over 1 yr.) and that they ordered a couple new ones from Jotul and that they should be in on Monday. They said it would be $45. For now my fan has been working and I adjusted the screw so it says on high (no low speed - but I didn't use it anyway). If I get a chance I'll check a hardware store for a Rheostat. Thanks

Final Update: I called the Jotul Tech on the 17th and I still have not rec'd a return call. Dealer got in the new Rheostat on the 21st. When I went to pick it up they handed it to me and when I asked how much the guy (different guy then I had spoken with earlier) said no charge its covered under the warranty. I thanked him and went home. Installed it (very easy) and everything works fine again.

Status
Not open for further replies.