Jotul C550 Rockland blower motor & lubrication??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VinceB

Feb 3, 2015
Hampton, NJ
Is anyone aware if there are oiling points on the blower motors for the Jotul C550 Rockland wood insert? One of my blower motors is starting to chirp and most likely needs oiling, but nothing I read in the documentation indicates there are any oiling points for these blowers. I did read elsewhere on theweb that some other model Jotul has an oil port but wondering if the model I own has such port.

I too have the same issue. I have cleaned and lubed (using aerosol spray lube). It minimizes the noise issue for a while but it has gradually returned each time. I need to find a better, more permanent lubricating application. Any ideas???

This is a common issue with so-called 'permanently" lubricated bearings. Getting some oil to soak into the shaft will help. Tip it on end so that the shaft is vertical. Use a light oil like 3n1 and let it sit on there for an hour so that it can penetrate down the shaft. Do each end. This may work for a month or two, depending on use, but then the bearing will go dry again. If the motor has sleeve bearings then you may be able to add a small oil holes for the bearings. The hole would be drilled into the area just outside of the bearing, into the felt that acts as an oil reservoir. I've done this with some cheap table fans and they have lasted years. If you try this be mindful of small metal shavings. You don't want them getting into the motor. An alternative on some motors is to disassemble the motor and pull the bearing which can be then soaked overnight in oil if it is still in decent shape or replaced if it is not. Before putting it back, put about 10 drops of light oil around the bearing felt first. This won't work for ball bearings.

For sealed ball bearings here is an excellent write up by member Maverick06.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/replacing-blower-bearings.154046/

Last edited: