Jotul C550 Rockland Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plastics017

Aug 26, 2011
Boston, MA
Hello All,
I've been reading this site for about a week now, and must say you're all very helpful and its very informative! So, I just signed up because I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I purchased a Jotul C50 Rockland wood burning insert, and I did make sure it fit and everything, except for the lintel part, which I got confused on, and am now stuck. The Rockland's exit pipe comes out the top of the unit. Basically what I need to do is remove the lintel, so I can make room for the chimney liner pipe to attach to the unit.

Here's the thing - I want to remove the lintel - as there are three up there. Two lintels are back to back (angle iron) and are approximately 4" from the exterior face of the fireplace. The 3rd lintel is the one in the way, and its approximately 9" back from the exterior face of the fireplace. I want to cut this lintel out, remove some of the brick above it, and throw the insert in there. What are your thoughts?

I can post pictures as well if needed. Thank you all in advance for your support.

I am a relative newbie here, but let me be the first to welcome you. You chose a great insert and I'm sure you will have many, many years of happy burning with it.
As far as your questions go, I am not at all qualified to help you out, I'm sorry to say. I let the pros do the installation, but as far as I can recall they did not remove the lintels, but did remove all or part of the damper. My recommendation to you would be to start posting some pictures and the highly knowledgeable group on this forum will take over from there. Best of luck!

Definitely lots of good clear pix! The pros can help if possible with these...

Status
Not open for further replies.