Jotul C550 Rockwell - Installation Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the day has finally arrived!

My new Jotul C550 Rockwell gets installed today after what seems like a long wait (just over a month). My hearth looks just like the one on the Jotul brochure so I have a pretty good idea of how it will look after the installation.

I already have 3+ cords of hardwood stacked and racked and am working on my kindling supply. The whole family is excited about this and are very enthusiastic - how often does that happen?.

I have to get a new mantle as the one I have is wood and is not quite high enough from the insert to meet code. Does anybody have any thoughts or options for a new mantle. I suppose I'm limited to stone or any other non-combustable material. Any suggestions? Any sources on-line or local to the northeast Massachusetts/southern New Hampshire area?

Your input and help is appreciated.

Woodsy-

We installed a Jotul 450 a few years ago and had the same problem- the wood mantle projected too far. We replaced it with a slab of bluestone. It was very easy to do , and fairly inexpensive. The material you will use will depend on what the rest of the hearth looks like, I suppose. Ours is brick with bluestone, so the bluestone mantle made sense.

Josh

Well I guess I'll have to wait a little longer for the installation.

One of the workmen was stung by a bee a couple of days ago at another installation and his hand was still swollen. His office called during my installation this a.m. and told him that the insurance company wants him to go to the hospital immediately and have it checked out.

It's now rescheduled to next Wednesday.

File Under: Good things come to those who wait!

Our mantel didn't meet code either so we got the mantel shield.

I was concerned how it would look - ie. detract from the overall appearance of the insert but, since installing it, we barely notice it. My husbands biggest concern was that someone would hit it with their head and get cut when loading the insert. That hasn't been a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.